585,886 active members*
5,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Techno CNC > Techno Servo retrofit with Viper drives

Techno Servo retrofit with Viper drives

A friend of mine did this Techno 4x8 retofit. Since the Techno servo board blew and the customer didn't like there controller, Lenny put 3 (older style) Viper servo drives and one of my Starcam controller boards in.
    Almost No mods were done to the Techno servo cables, since all we had to do was make a little DB15 to DB9 adapter on the encoder cable.

I'm suprised they used little 50 In/oz size 23 motors on all axis, on a 4 x 8 machine . But the machine runs nice and smooth once we tuned it.

(BTW,The drives in the picture are some of my old 1st gen prototypes, but run it fine (i sold them cheap))

The Viper 95 would be the perfect drive for this machine, using Mach3. Its an fairly easy retrofit, since the limit switch also comes down the encoder cable.

Anyone interested, I can give them the connections for the adapter.

Larry K
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails techno 017.jpg   techno 016.jpg   techno 014.jpg   techno 013.jpg  

techno 007.jpg  

I would love the connections for the driver and anything else you have on the retrofit. I've been thinking about doing a retrofit for the past few years.

Are you running Mach 3 as the control software?
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

This machine is running our Starcam controller, which i mostly sell on my Larken cnc routers to Educational here in Canada.

But I am putting a package together with a Mach3 BOB, 3 Viper 95's and required powersuppy parts, and cable adapters for this techno retrofit.

Larry K

Quote Originally Posted by Larken
    This machine is running our Starcam controller, which i mostly sell on my Larken cnc routers to Educational here in Canada.

But I am putting a package together with a Mach3 BOB, 3 Viper 95's and required powersuppy parts, and cable adapters for this techno retrofit.

Larry K
    Sounds interesting. Please make a post when you are done with it. I think many people would be interested in something like that.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Yes! I am interested in your setup. I have an older servo control that needs a retrofit. I am unhappy with the price of Techno's control upgrade.
    Thanks

Put me down...

... as another interested party in any retrofit that would use my existing servos and replace the Techno Control setup with a simple, inexpensive Mach3 version.

... Update???

... did this ever come to pass or is it dead?

No, not dead at all.

I can supply a BOB and 3 drives on a chassis. Just connect to your existing transformer.
    One thing we learned though, i have added a Z axis brake output, so the Z doesn't drop when the power is off.

Email me [email protected] for details

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larken View Post
    No, not dead at all.

I can supply a BOB and 3 drives on a chassis. Just connect to your existing transformer.
    One thing we learned though, i have added a Z axis brake output, so the Z doesn't drop when the power is off.

Email me [email protected] for details

Larry
    Does your break enabling solution work with Mach 3? I thought there was no way to get the break working with Mach.

Quote Originally Posted by Pplug View Post
    Does your break enabling solution work with Mach 3? I thought there was no way to get the break working with Mach.
    I would suspect it is independent of Mach, and a function of the drive itself?
    On when drive disabled?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Yes, its the enable output from the Z drive. When the Z drive enable out goes high, it releases the brake. If the drive faults or power is turned off then the brake comes on.
    ( Its not a function of Mach3)

We add a small 5 volt relay to turn on the 24 volts to the brake.

Larry

Larry,

Has anyone in the US done this retrofit?