584,860 active members*
5,399 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas Multi tasking opinions

I'm considering making the plunge to multitasking, at the moment the ST-30SSY is very intriging to me. They advertise as having a 24 tool hybrid turret (12 bolt on/12 VDI). My main question is, can all 24 turret positions be used at the time? It seems to me that having that many tools in a work envelope that small would create a lot of interferance.

Looking for owners/operators opinion on this configuration, and if anyone has some picures of a loaded 24 tool turret, it would a great help.

Thanks for your help!

I think you have the turret thing totally confused. A turret rotates one tool into position at a time. To do simultaneous turning, you need a swiss-type lathe (Citizen, Star, etc).

Do some searching on Youtube for CNC lathes with the word turret and the word swiss and you'll see the difference.
    Greg

I think he means multi-function lathe. And yes, with 24 tools on one turret would be a huge interference problem. Even live tools on a 12 station turret can be tight for some jobs.

That is, of course, unless you have a twin-turret or three turret swiss or turning center. Then you can have up to 3 tools in the cut at once! ;p That's the ticket! :banana:

Mike

I do know the difference between a swiss lathe and a lathe like the Haas.
    Underthetire hit the nail on the head. My thought is that even though you can load 24 tools in the turret, the odds of actually being able to use all 24 tools is slim.

I've used other manufacturers turning centers with and without live tooling, with 10 and 12 tool turrets. I really like the concept of a 24t turret, but I've seen the interferances on a 10/12 turret, I can only imagine the interferance on ajacent tools with 24. Which is why I wonder if you can run 12 VDI or 12 bolt on, or any combination totalling 12, and to call it 24tool is just a marketing trick?

Feedback?

(in a perfect world, I'd by an Integrex i or j series, but...)

Hypothetically, you can load all 24 stations. Realistically 12 to 15. You can squeeze more in, it just takes some time/planning. The 24 station turret is much larger than the 12 station turrets.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Probably varies depending on the workpiece and the number of axial tools you need compared to the radial tools. The diameter of the part would also affect it since you turning a reasonably small item that was sticking out from the spindle chuck would give different clearance than a large diameter workpiece, or a workpiece right up against the spindle jaw faces.

Using all 24 tools is probably possible if you designed a workpiece around the machine instead of the other way around

To fully utilize the Haas 24 station one has to think outside of the “normal” tooling most use with 12 station lathes. As examples, I believe Haas has released extended BOT style holders for the DS lathes that can be used, tooling vendors do have “non-standard” VDI holders and I’ve even seen existing holders modified. As others have said, planning is key.
    Also don’t forget that with some programming, you can double up on your high wear tools in order to run overnight.

I don't know about you folks, but with our SL-10, I run in to clearance issues when running the 3 jaw chuck. I can't run 2 ID tools next to each other without hitting the chuck. Mostly because when we use the 3 jaw, the parts are too large to fit through the spindle so we are chucking them. Most of the part then, is behind the face of the jaws.

I asked one of the technicians at IMTS about this for the new 24 station turrets. He showed me that it was very possible to use ID tools next to each other on the 24 station turret without the adjacent tool hitting the chuck. Actually, there was quite a bit of clearance. You might want to got to the HFO to look at one to see. Of course, this was not a big bore machine either, so no oversize chuck. Never the less, he jogged the 1" + drill he was using right into the center of the chuck, almost to the face of the turret, and the boring bars on either side if it weren't close enough to the chuck to worry about. If you use 16C, 3J, or some other collet in place of the 3 jaw chuck, you would have tons of room!

As to the need for the extra 12 stations, it would depend on what you are doing. If you make typical turned parts with minimal 2nd operations, then it is overkill to have the 24 stations. On the other hand, if you do lots of work where there are many milling/drilling/tapping 2nd operations, you can never have enough tools in the machine. Especially when you consider the possibilities of working both ends of the part axially and any side of the part radially, in the same machine, in one operation, all without touching it.

Everybody has an opinion. That is mine.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo_454 View Post
    That is, of course, unless you have a twin-turret or three turret swiss or turning center. Then you can have up to 3 tools in the cut at once! ;p That's the ticket! :banana:

Mike
    Yup, nothing will make you pucker the first part like 4 axis internal Acme threads.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Yup, nothing will make you pucker the first part like 4 axis internal Acme threads.
    Thats when you just close your eyes and hit go LOL
    Van Fleet Precision Machining
    http://www.vanfleetprecision.com/