585,925 active members*
3,466 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Best type and brand of indexable drills

Best type and brand of indexable drills

I have used all sandvik indexable drills for my cnc lathes until recently when a carboloy salesman sold me a couple of their drills, i like carboloy because of the economy of a 4 sided insert, but experianced less rigidity when drilling 3 times the diameter deep, i run 90% of my jobs from 316 stainless, and want some opinions on other brands of drills to try

for the insert drills I always used Ceratip by Kyocera (hope the spelling is right ) but near the end of my exclusivly stainless days (316L) I started switching to the Allied tool spade drills, they don't scream like a banshy and if you have the coolant flow available they cut just as fast (must use the supercobolt or carbide). The best thing about the TA series spade drill is the bodys are faily cheap and you have a few more milliseconds to hit the e-stop before you drill body dies if the insert goes south on you. And on 316L this happens way too frequently.

The inserts seam kinda pricey at first but you only have to purchase one per hole size not two to four and one drill body size will hold several size inserts (big plus if you do alot of dif. size holes)

been using them ever since.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"