584,866 active members*
5,189 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Milltronics Partner I

Thanks for taking the time to review my problem. I currently looking into a Milltronics Partner I 1988. The device has a couple of problems, a secondary monitor is utilized because the original is burned out, the tool changer is not functioning: the air piston does not engage the half moon slot located under the pulleys.
    Question: Is there any electronically available manuals I might get a hold of for electronic, mechanical and pneumatic repairs?
    Question: What powers the pneumatics, is it self generated or does this machine need to be connected to an air supply?

Thank you for your expertise

Cy Drollinger

It is common for the CRT to go out, you may be able to find a TV/monitor repair shop to look at it.

You need to supply 90 - 100 psi of dry compressed air to the regulator/filter/lubricator that is usually located on the top of the electrical box.

You should contact Milltronics to order the electrical and mechanical manuals.

cydrollinger, The Milltronics P1 do indeed need clean dry air, (as do all machines that use air)
    A few other things to consider about buying any machine that age. Condition and parts availability.
    The Milltronics controls came in a few different versions, look at the control serial # on the black box inside the electrical cabinet.
    1. a 3 digit number, indicates the orginal C5 control known as a "CAT900" system) these controls are non repairable and would require updating to a C6 or C7 control.
    2. 3 digit with a -A, second generation C5, not any better off for repairing then # 1.
    3. 3 digit with a -B, now were talking, This control is fully "updatable" it is the C 5 to have.

when shipping a machine, remove the control from the electrical cabinet and also the front panel operators panel and pack them nicely, (like your brand new plasma TV) secure to the inside the machine or ship seperaly. NOTE: CRT displays of any kind do not ship well.

Parner 1 D thru Parner 1 F have 25mm rails, Partner 1 G and newer have 35mm rails, some machines had auto lube, some had "manual grease" lubrication, some people did not grease the machines on a regular basis. Check the rails and ball screws! (these parts are expensive) but are available
    as are motors, drives and other electrical and mechanical items.
    Execept in a fer instances (machines with CSP 3 speed spindle drives) the partner series machines can be run on single phase. (connect L1 and L# and jumper L1 to L2. You will need a 220 30A service to the machine.

You will find the Milltronics control very easy to use.
    I have more info if needed, just ask.

Sportybob

Re: Milltronics Partner I

What does CSP 3 speed spindle drive mean? I have a milltronics partner 1d that has 3 pulleys for speeds. low, med, high. Can this machine run on single phase 220v?

Hi Rivethead, CSP is a typo, It should have been CSM ( Custom Servo Motors) This is an electronically shifted 3 speed motor. with a max 4500 RPM.
    On your machine you have to swap the belt for the different speed ranges and set the spindle range parameter, (1 =low, 2= med 3= high)

Your P1D can be run on single phase. Wire your 220vac (10 GA multi strand wire with a 30 A breaker.) to L1 and L3 and jumper either L1 or L3 to L2. don't forget the ground wire.
    Check the incoming voltage, 220, 230 240 or ?? and check the 220 to 110 transformer, below the disconnect switch and match the incoming voltage to the closest tap on the transformer.

sportybob

Quote Originally Posted by sportybob View Post
    Hi Rivethead, CSP is a typo, It should have been CSM ( Custom Servo Motors) This is an electronically shifted 3 speed motor. with a max 4500 RPM.
    On your machine you have to swap the belt for the different speed ranges and set the spindle range parameter, (1 =low, 2= med 3= high)

Your P1D can be run on single phase. Wire your 220vac (10 GA multi strand wire with a 30 A breaker.) to L1 and L3 and jumper either L1 or L3 to L2. don't forget the ground wire.
    Check the incoming voltage, 220, 230 240 or ?? and check the 220 to 110 transformer, below the disconnect switch and match the incoming voltage to the closest tap on the transformer.

sportybob
    The large transformer below the disconnect switch is wired to the zero terminal and to the 260 terminal. I have a 220v single phase outlet in my garage. The voltage across the two hot wires measures 246v. One hot leg measured 122v and the other hot leg measured 124v. Is the connections on the transformer in the correct locations shown in the pic or should they be set on zero and the 240 tab? Thanks for any comments

Hi Rivithead, It might be OK where it is ( 260V) Check the 110VAC at terminal blocks 1 and 2. it should be 110 to 120V. If it is under the 110V, then move the transformer wire to the 240V tap and recheck.
    I suspect that the green wire in the pic is the incoming ground wire. Connect it to the upper ground stud above and to the right of the disconnect switch.
    wire your single phase to L! and L3 of the disconnect switch and jumper either L1 of L3 to L2. ( this "L2" jumper will go on down to the spindle drive.

sportybob

Quote Originally Posted by sportybob View Post
    Hi Rivithead, It might be OK where it is ( 260V) Check the 110VAC at terminal blocks 1 and 2. it should be 110 to 120V. If it is under the 110V, then move the transformer wire to the 240V tap and recheck.
    I suspect that the green wire in the pic is the incoming ground wire. Connect it to the upper ground stud above and to the right of the disconnect switch.
    wire your single phase to L! and L3 of the disconnect switch and jumper either L1 of L3 to L2. ( this "L2" jumper will go on down to the spindle drive.

sportybob
    Hello. I have a question. I hooked up the machine like this it but will running on single phase harm the VFD? I read somewhere that VFD’s are 3 phase. The VFD I have is a Safetronics G3. Here is a pic of it. Thanks for any comments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7E107345-9D5C-4475-95A4-F2016CF44959.jpg  

Do you still have this machine if you do can you please send me a picture of the main reset contactor CR1 relay, Got a machine with out it got the relay but I found some jumper wire in the cabinet and I'm sure that is part of the relay the schematic won't you it. It show how is wire but there are more wire going to the relay that are not reflected on the schematic. Thanks