586,000 active members*
4,953 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Favorite Sign Woods

My favorite exterior sign woods:

Since I live in the Southwestern part of the US, I'm limiting my comments to what I am familiar with. I'm sure there is plenty of other good lumbers around the country. I ofter wonder what's available in Australia, England and around the world. For me, the distinguishing factor is longevity and stability. For example White Oak or Poplar, which are beautiful woods don't fare well outdoors. Woods like Osage Orange, or Cypress have the necessary interlocking grain pattern and microbe resistance.

Cedar:
    This is an outstanding wood which comes in several varieties. The clearest come from Canada and can be purchased in clear heart, vertical grain which will last for years. Down right beautiful for just about everything exterior and has a natural resistance to decay. In ground post must be treated for decay. There's also Aromatic (Eastern Cedar) which comes from the Juniper tree. This lumber is oily , with a heavenly smell, lots of knots with lots of streaks of white. One of our CNC group, Ken Zey, uses it for exterior furniture and signs. It's readily available in the south and east and is considered a invasive, pest tree. The Western Cedar which is available to us, at the lumber yard comes wet and knotty. I've ignored it for years which was a mistake. It's good for rougher looking signs and will last for years. Moderate weather protection is required. For painting, stain blockers are required. I've recently posted photo's of a couple examples, which are Elephant Pavilion and Gill Galean quarter horse ranch. Two inch rough cedar is actually 2" in thickness.

Redwood:
    It's the Grand Dame of the sandblasted sign business. It not only comes in clear vertical grain, it's also very weather resistant. Although it's a little more rare now, there's plenty of it for a price. I've noticed this wood to come in lots of different densities. A good supply and referance is Reid and Wright, Inc. Some of my redwood signs are twenty years old and should hold up another twenty years. I think it would be be an excellent slogan, "Redwood sign will outlast most businesses." What do you think? Or, at my age, "I'm giving a lifetime warranty."

Cypress:
    The outstanding quality of this light colored beautiful wood is it's weather ability. I'm not happy with it as a sign material. The major issue for me has been it's stringy. And will not carry small detail without breaking off. Even with a V bit, attention to small detail is a concern. Still it's one of the most beautiful looking woods.

Pine:
    I only wish the beautiful north eastern pine was more available to us in the southwest. Our most common is Yellow Pine and is unfortunately avoided. It's usually wet, knotty, hard to cut, and susceptible to earthbound bugs. Why do I love it? It has outstanding qualities. This wood can be purchased with vertical grain at two inch thickness. It's necessary to remove the flame pattern from the boards center. As it dries it gets hard as steel, so working it wet is good. When you glue up vertical grain, of any wood, there's little or no warping. It can be treated with common antifreeze or Boric Acid to eliminate microbes making it outlast most woods. Boric comes from Lowe's as a powder under the product name, "Hot Shot Roach Killer." It's safe to handle. Some of you older woodworkers may remember “Twenty Team Borax” They sponsored the weekly TV program "Wagon Train". Borax has been and used in laundry detergent for years. Shooooo----, it's a majic ingredient. Kills roaches and fleas too.

Please post your favorite sign woods and how to work them.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

Out here on the plains, Indian Country, the wind won't let up. The crops, the crops, O, the crops. Sure need some moisture. I love Oklahoma.

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's Sign Shop.jpg  

Joe do you ever use a moister meter when selecting lumber for your projects I have found it very help full.

Lou

I've never used a moisture meter. Now, in today's market, I'm using some very wet lumber. For the past couple of years I've been gluing up Rough Cedar and Yellow Pine without much, if any, problems. The pine must be vertical grain. I've settled on Weldwoods Plastic Resin glue. When mixed up thick it's wonderful.

None of my lumber is kiln dried but I'm working for rustic looking signs.

Verks for me, hope it verks for you.

Joe
    Wwwnormansignco.com