585,764 active members*
4,233 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tamiya Car Body?

Let me explain what I would like to do. I have now been working with my school's Techno-Isel Davinci CNC machine for about 4 months. I have become fairly familiar with my CAD software, Mastercam Design X4. The most complicated machining job I have done was making a smooth body design for a CO2 car, but the machine's limits held it back from being drilled. Now for what I want to do.

We have Tamiya Mini 4WD cars at my school. I want to be able to design bodies using plastic or something along those lines and fit it on the chassis. I want to be able to design the body, drill it, make necessary modifications for fitting the chassis, and throw it on. I personally don't think Mastercam is the best software for this job(at least for designing the shape), but I am fairly experienced in Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD, as well as advanced knowledge of Autodesk 3Ds Max. I have access to all this software and I'm not sure what is best. Basically, I need to know how to make this body. It's a complicated question, I understand, but I need the help.

You mean like below? While I didn't create the original model I used 3DS Max to modify this body and put in a computer game. Starting with a base sheel saved me some time in game design. You can do that in most of the programs you have mentioned there. You need to learn a lot about lofting if you are planning to do this with a parametric type CAD program. However the best program to use is something that is designed to do organic modeling such as Rhino3D and exporting in STL.

You are also going to need to learn how to machine a plug (foam or other material) cover it and create the plug for vacuum forming.

I have included a high resolution mesh body and a low resolution model. For game design the illusion is used by taking a rendering from the larger model and placing it on the smaller resolution model. Visually you can't tell the difference, but that high resolution model is going to stress your system if it is not a strong quad type.

Good luck..

50K Mesh Body

13K Mesh Body

Thanks for the information. I'm at school at the moment and do to our firewall I'm unable to view the pictures you posted. As for machining a plug, would I use the CNC machine for that? Also, could wood be used for the plug, or is that not recommended?

I am not sure. I will be looking into this later but i have found several ways, just search google and you can find them. You can take the model do cross section cuts, mill out basically a jig saw puzzle and fill the inner core with clay and mold the car to final shape then cover with something for a reverse mold then pour plaster in it for the vacuum mold.

My route will probably be to machine the body is several pieces of foam and cover with probably fiberglass or carbon fiber sheet. The pieces cut at about 30 deg will allow more detail in the mold and can take a little negative curves since it will come apart after vacuum forming. Does take a little time to setup for the next pull though.

You could probably get by with foam and then cover with resin. I am looking at making larger plugs for 1/5 and 1/4 scale cars, but I am a LONG way off from actually doing that. To much other projects in the works.