584,837 active members*
5,297 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

recycling metal

Hi, I didn't know where to put this topic. I just posted it in the highest traffic area. I am intersted in learning how to recycle metal. I am having a difficult time finding information on this topic.

Please help

-garrett

What do you mean by recycle?

Do you want to find metal to recycle and then use it?

Or do you want to melt the metal down to make castings?

Or do you already have scrap and want to know what to do with it?

Scrapyards, especially the recyclers are a great place to start if you're looking to get materials. Most allow the public to come in and "shop" by the pound.

Other forums here deal with melting metal.

If you want to sell your scrap, you just haul it in, and get paid. You'll be paid better if the metal is not "mixed" -- if you have already seperated the different materials (ie. no steel nails in that pile of aluminum siding)

Give us an idea what you want to do and we can help..

Quote Originally Posted by damae
    What do you mean by recycle?

Do you want to find metal to recycle and then use it?

Or do you want to melt the metal down to make castings?

Or do you already have scrap and want to know what to do with it?

Scrapyards, especially the recyclers are a great place to start if you're looking to get materials. Most allow the public to come in and "shop" by the pound.

Other forums here deal with melting metal.

If you want to sell your scrap, you just haul it in, and get paid. You'll be paid better if the metal is not "mixed" -- if you have already seperated the different materials (ie. no steel nails in that pile of aluminum siding)

Give us an idea what you want to do and we can help..
    yes I have brought scrap to the scrap yards before but I would like to find out what they do with it. The man told me they squish it up and send it to a mill. I just want to learn about that stuff.

please help

Sorry, that's outside my experience. Anyone else?

I have done some work at an aluminium recycling factory.

They use an inductance furnace. A strong electo magnetic field is placed around the alum that causes it to melt. They then pour the molten alum into round rods.

Try this link http://www.google.com.au/search?hs=R...G=Search&meta=

They send it to China and it comes back as those cheep or er inexpensive Chinese made tools.

I have been doing a lot of research and they use a baler. What exaclty does this do?

Quote Originally Posted by MBG
    I have been doing a lot of research and they use a baler. What exactly does this do?

Much of the import scrap is baled into specific package sizes for somewhat easier handling in the offload. It also helps reduce the amount of air(lost space) in a shipment. Basically a compactor/crusher/bundle tied on a huge scale.

It is now getting to the point that machine shops are buying brick/slug compressors to pack chips into near solids. Easier on space in storage, transport, furnace and over all fuel savings. They are not a cheap machine either, but the alternatives are getting worse! Some scrap haulers will charge to come pick up them full of coolant dripping chip dumpster!

The name of the game has a lot to do with volume from the big players to the small players. Each will cater to a different sector of the buying community. Scrap yards buy for the junk haulers and sell to the mega collection processors. Mega-processors often sell to who ever is willing to pay the highest prices. Price depends on volume and reputation for quality loads. They classify these by grades and alloy where it is non-ferrous. Which that comes down to load density. As has been stated, dirty(mixed) loads get bottom dollar. Puffy low density stuff takes up a lot of room for a low cash value.

Steel has been at an all time high as of late because of the import market demand. China is sucking up most of it for a supposed Dam project, but at the same time is buying huge amounts of weapons from Russia. Makes one wonder....but enough of that.

Domestic micro-mills must compete with world rates, but in most cases have a specialty product that seems to have little to no competition. The mega-mills are few in the states, but I don't know off hand how much they re-process. Conservation only goes so far if it is cheaper to use raw material out of the ground rather than poor quality out of the door.

I have a close friend in the scrap yard business. This can bring out the packrat in anyone.

DC

Quote Originally Posted by One of Many
    Much of the import scrap is baled into specific package sizes for somewhat easier handling in the offload. It also helps reduce the amount of air(lost space) in a shipment. Basically a compactor/crusher/bundle tied on a huge scale.

It is now getting to the point that machine shops are buying brick/slug compressors to pack chips into near solids. Easier on space in storage, transport, furnace and over all fuel savings. They are not a cheap machine either, but the alternatives are getting worse! Some scrap haulers will charge to come pick up them full of coolant dripping chip dumpster!

The name of the game has a lot to do with volume from the big players to the small players. Each will cater to a different sector of the buying community. Scrap yards buy for the junk haulers and sell to the mega collection processors. Mega-processors often sell to who ever is willing to pay the highest prices. Price depends on volume and reputation for quality loads. They classify these by grades and alloy where it is non-ferrous. Which that comes down to load density. As has been stated, dirty(mixed) loads get bottom dollar. Puffy low density stuff takes up a lot of room for a low cash value.

Steel has been at an all time high as of late because of the import market demand. China is sucking up most of it for a supposed Dam project, but at the same time is buying huge amounts of weapons from Russia. Makes one wonder....but enough of that.

Domestic micro-mills must compete with world rates, but in most cases have a specialty product that seems to have little to no competition. The mega-mills are few in the states, but I don't know off hand how much they re-process. Conservation only goes so far if it is cheaper to use raw material out of the ground rather than poor quality out of the door.

I have a close friend in the scrap yard business. This can bring out the packrat in anyone.

DC
    thanks a lot! so when I drop off my metal at the local scrap yard. It doesn't appear they melt it down there. I asked the fellow what he does with the stuff and he says he packages it up and sends it off to a mill. So I am guessing the packaging is what you said the baler does and then a micro mill??

So all the scrap yards I usually see everyday only package the metal and ship it to a foundry?

thanks a lot! so when I drop off my metal at the local scrap yard. It doesn't appear they melt it down there. I asked the fellow what he does with the stuff and he says he packages it up and sends it off to a mill. So I am guessing the packaging is what you said the baler does and then a micro mill??
    The term baler as I know it is a machine that makes cubes/bundles out of the scrap. Typically for import, but may go for other uses. Only the larger processors can afford to buy this kind of equipment to handle the volume and service their customers needs.

Micro-mills are specialty sheet rolling mills that can get their scrap from selective collection people. Usually large industry with certified known scrap material stored in specific dumpsters to keep the integrity of the alloy as clean as possible. The end product is only as good as what goes into it. Micro-mills cannot afford a bad reputation. They ensure everything is tracable via the trusting relations of those resources.

So all the scrap yards I usually see everyday only package the metal and ship it to a foundry?
    This may or may not be the case. It seems they all have different methods and sectors of industries they serve. Depending on the material, grade and other conditions.

I'm sure there is a learning curve there. In whom will take what, pay out rates for loyalty, etc, etc. The end users(if there is a market) will dictate what it is worth and who they will accept any load from. That may take several years of networking to build ones own clientele by focusing on a niche others don't see. Your local area can take on a totally different scheme to this business. You will need to get out there and network to understand that process yourself.

DC

I have been researching again and I found this company

http://www.recycleamerica.com/default.asp

They work with waste mangament. Would they be the company to go to if you are a company to sell metal to? After you put it in the baler.

anybody?