584,861 active members*
4,920 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > Single cable CNC hookup to new Hypertherm Plasmas

Single cable CNC hookup to new Hypertherm Plasmas

Today we shipped our first production quantity of the new DTHC II Digital Torch Height Control (used in all our systems) that offers, as an option, a single cable that connects it directly to the CPC connector on the back of the new 45/65/85 series. The system is design around our new THC SENSOR PWM Module that surface mounts to the exterior of the plasma and reads the divided ARC VOLTS from the plasma (if you have that option) and changes it to Constant Level PWM Digital back to the DTHC II Expansion Card at the controller (up to 25ft away). It raises the noise immunity and negates any analog voltage drops over distance.

The new system will take divided inputs of 7:1 (from our own divider cards), 20:1 and 50:1. There are several options for cables and cards to match up to the unit you have and what options.

To help make decisions as to which option you need you can visit:

http://www.CandCNC.com/MP3000-DTHC.htm

or click on the OPTIONS button in from http://www.CandCNC.com/BladeRunner_Dragon-Cut.html page.

The system will also work with older Hypertherm systems that have the rear CPC connector (1000/1250/1650) but you need to add our optional Arc Volts Divider Card.

Jim may want to jump in and tell you what Hypertherm options are available to take full advantage of our single cable plug-n-run DTHC II system.

TOM caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Having the plasma interface plug into the rear panel.....as opposed to being hardwired....offers some distinct advantages:

1. Easy installlation with no chance of reverse polarity or miswiring errors that could cause board damage on the plasma or the cnc end of the system

2. Makes for plasma portability if needed. Unplug the machine plasma torch, plasma interface cable......and you can take the plasma away for portable hand held cutting.

Just a couple of notes.

-The plasma start input on all Hypertherm Powermax 45, 65, 85, 1000, 1250 and 1650 systems is only functional when the machine torch is used....this is a safety feature that makes use of the hand torch safer.

-The Powermax65 and 85 must be ordered with the rear panel CPC (circular plastic connector). Standard handheld systems are not equipped with this interface receptacle. If you have a Powermax65 or 85 without the plug....there is a Hypertherm kit that can easily be field installed for this functionality.

I'd like to applaud Tom and CandCNC for being ahead of his time in regards to making cnc plasma cutting affordable, easy, and with staying ahead of the technology. Using a digital signal to transmit the DC voltage readings from the plasma to the height control electronics is something that previously has only been avaialable in high end industrial cnc plasma systems that sell for over 10 times as much as a cnc machine with Tom's equipment.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Mine is on the way! I just got my Bladerunner Dragon-cut system last week, and my table is still incomplete...but this is a fantastic upgrade for me, since I like the nearly "plug 'n play" electronics. I have a Powermax 45 and a machine torch, so I should be good to go.
    Carl

Jim could you outline what Hypertherm models and options the user needs to order/upgrade so they have the internal voltage divider? If you order the CPC option does it come with the voltage divider card or is that a separate SKU? Does the 45 have a CPC as stock and does it have the voltage divider?
    I can better advise my customers what they need if I know what they have or should order.

TOM caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

The Powermax 45 comes standard with a cpc connector and a built in 50:1 voltage divider.

The Powermax65 and 85 have an optional cpc connector....and it can be added in the field as an upgrade kit. All of the 65's and 85's that have the cpc connector have a multi-ratio voltage divider as well. The divider in these units is factory preset at 50:1.

Jim