584,814 active members*
5,209 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle Motor for Taig ER16 Spindle

I am building a new CNC mill and plan on using a Taig ER16 spindle. The stock motor on the Taig Micro-Mill is an 1/4 HP AC motor, 3400 rpm, Cont. Duty. I am concerned that this motor is too heavy for my machine. It is rather large and bulky.

My question is this: What motors pair well with this spindle?

I want to control the speed of the spindle with Mach3 eventually, but would be happy with a separate speed controller to start with.

Any advice would appreciated.

Josh

When I setup my Taig mill I was thinking the same thing. I was told not to worry about it. Does not matter what they think, when you cantilever that much weight off the side of that little head on a Taig you are going to have more friction and wear on the slide and screw.

So I made up a big pulley, put a ball bearing in it and screwed to the a floor joist over the mill. Run a string from the motor over the pulley to a weight equal to the motor.
    Works great and lets me run the Z a little faster then without the counter weight.

Sounds like you are using Taig parts on some other type of mill so this may or may not work for you.

Ultimately I want to put a brushless motor on it the kind used in remote control boats and such. Most who do this use smaller very high speed motors and a belt and pulleys to the spindle.
    I am thinking use a motor intended for larger RC models as they tend to spin slower and be a better match for direct drive and should be smother and quieter. Down side is more expensive.

The stuff I want to look at is Castle Creations speed controls and NeuMotors.

Thanks for the input. I was really lucky and got my hands on 4 supported rails and 8 linear bearings. So I am building a machine around those parts. It works out to be about $1000 worth of rails and bearings. So I want to build the rest of the machine with equal value parts. I am not apposed to spending around $300 for the motor. Has anyone documented using one of these motors?

Josh

Most of the little hi performance RC motors are not designed to run for hours on end. I suspect you'll have a burnt up motor in short order. I just mounted a Sherline motor and speed control to a Taig headstock for a customer in the UK. It works pretty well. I have also been working on a small three phase spindle motor with a VFD.

The truth of it is you are not going to get a 1/4hp continuous duty motor that weighs less then the Taig motor does (which is quite small actually).
    Jeff Birt

Ok, so you aren't actually using a Taig. Are you going to mount the motor the same way as the Taig?

Also, I was actually thinking about mounting a treadmill motor right above the spindle and doing away with the pulleys. This would limit me to the max rpm of the motor but I'm seeing some 7100rpm motors and I might be happy with that.

I have a choice of buying the Taig Spindle with or without the motor. I was just curious is anyone has used a different motor. As for mounting I plan on using a set of pulleys very similar to how the Taig Mill. I could change this, but honestly it seems like the simplest solution.

I actually have a treadmill motor somewhere. Also ebay has them all over the place. I was just curious what other options people have used with the ER16 spindle.

Josh

Treadmill motors weight about the same as stock taig motor. So for you, I don't see any reason to not use one if you're considering the stock motor. You'll get variable speed that you can control through mach3.

Taig spindle is similar to Scherline? I have rebuilt few for friends, later one for myself as well. There is possible to connect wires series, parallel, delta or star ... to have different torque/speed. There I use 24V 20A switch mode power supply and common RC speed control, where is possible to use heli mode (governor), keeps constant rpm when different load during milling.
    OK, this actual motor fully my own design, outer rotor, but you can use any other stator, inner rotor as well, just rotor OD must to be adequate for hoped speed and torque.
    There is many ways to lessen cogging, whats typical for most of iron core brushless permanent magnet motors. RC motors could be used as well, but I recommend to rewind and rotor housing need to be made bit stronger.
    This motor is very quiet, easy to use, no high amps ... rpm I do not recommend to use higher than 7 ... 8k rpm, because bearings inside this spindle are not so good, I think.
    cheers,
    herbert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0787.jpg   IMG_0794.jpg   1_2-Model.jpg  

Ok, so you aren't actually using a Taig. Are you going to mount the motor the same way as the Taig?
    Yes, it is mounted using a modified Taig motor mounting post and plate. I used the Sherline 10K pulleys instead of the Taig pulleys.

As to treadmill motors, Treadmill motors will require force cooling to work properly they generally have a fan inside the treadmill for this purpose.
    Jeff Birt

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-Birt View Post
    Yes, it is mounted using a modified Taig motor mounting post and plate. I used the Sherline 10K pulleys instead of the Taig pulleys.
    Heh, I was talking about the OP's setup