584,857 active members*
4,060 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

help picking a cnc machine

hello,
    i'm looking into getting a cnc machine but am not sure what to look at since there are so many there. i want to use it to design motorcycle parts such as an spike intake, brackets, etc. example of intake (just want to make spike part): http://www.dmcustomcycle.com/AIRCLEANER/TS-7900-SCH.JPG
    i want to have some of the intakes have 8 sides and come down to a point also. the insides will have to be hollow as well.
    what kind of machine would work for me and how much would it cost? my budget is pretty tight so i need one of the more cheap machines.
    Thanks, Luke

Well with a tight budget...I would look at a lathe with a taper attachment....that would give you the cone...'spike' portion.....if you then wanted to make it 8 sided....flat or countoured sides....you would use an index setup on a mill to allow you to index the part...before anyone gets their 'shorts knotted up' your indexer would need to have a way to adjust the angle so that the surface of the cone is perpendicular to the end mill used to countour the part.

do you know any companies that make a lathe that could do the spike?
    thanks, Luke

Mill of your choice....rough and finish surface it and polish...done
    Make a set of jaws to do inside...done

How about making from sheet stock and spot welding, TIG or rivit. Be a whole lot cheaper that way both in stock and machine costs. The intake could be cast to shape and the whole thing chromed.

Not a bad plan...just way more labor intensive. But I know some welders that are artists!!
    Jim