585,906 active members*
3,770 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Okuma Programming

I am on the hunt for a machine. I know mazatrol and thats it, i am curious to see hear what okuma conversational programming is like.

Also at what year did okuma come out with full conversational

I don't know anything about Okuma conversational, but I went from fanuc, to mazatrol, to Okuma and I kinda use Okuma user task and he common variables as if it were a conversational control, but I still need to create G-code variable program. I can't give a fair assessment of the machines as most I have worked on are 20 or more years old except for some Mazaks, but I am impressed with the Okuma for the age of the machine it is very user friendly, I would like to work on a newer model say 10-15 years old to see how it has improved....a newer machine would be toooooo advanced for me.

CHEERS!
    I'm just a butcher masquerading as a machinist

Quote Originally Posted by Seva View Post
    I am on the hunt for a machine. I know mazatrol and thats it, i am curious to see hear what okuma conversational programming is like.

Also at what year did okuma come out with full conversational
    Okuma has been doing IGF since about 1984 maybe earlier. They added "one-touch IGF in about the early 90's. One touch had the "artificial intelligence" feature where it would write the program based on the input part shape with the touch of one button. Extremely fast, but not always what you were expecting. Lots of parameters to adjust to get what you wanted somewhat predictably. If you used it like old IGF or as "re-touch IGF" it was still faster than the old IGF. Once you are proficient at it, I've seen programs written from scratch in 5 minutes. (one IMTS they were doing print to part demos in 5 minutes.)

IGF is more conversational and less spreadsheet like than the mazatrol, but both systems work pretty well if you get used to them. Take the time on IGF to walk thru your parameters and you can skip your feeds and speeds pages altogether. Then it is just a matter of defining individual processes and shapes they follow to get your part.

I know this isn't the best explanation of how it works, but it's difficult to explain without doing the demo on a control.

Hope this helps,

best regards,

how do i delete this? wanna repost differently!