584,857 active members*
4,665 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Confusion with R8 Spindle and Collets

Confusion with R8 Spindle and Collets

OK, I have been doing some Google'ing, but I haven't come up with a solid answer.

My HF X2 mill is coming with an R8 spindle. I understand that I need to use R8 collets with this. What I can't figure out is, do I just use the R8 spindle with the collets or is there some kind of ring clamp/fitting that is needed to tighten the collets?

I am thinking in terms of the mini collets used on my Dremel tools.

If I don't need anything, except a collet set (I have been looking at the $99 set from LittleMachineShop), how do I actually tighten the collets and an end mill into the spindle?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I don't have the mill in hand yet and I am trying to figure some of these things out before it gets here.
    Jason
    RPC Electronics, LLC - www.rpc-electronics.com

Quote Originally Posted by RPCElectronics View Post
    If I don't need anything, except a collet set (I have been looking at the $99 set from LittleMachineShop), how do I actually tighten the collets and an end mill into the spindle?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I don't have the mill in hand yet and I am trying to figure some of these things out before it gets here.
    The mill and the collet set will give you everything you need. R8 collets have a threaded hole, and there is a threaded drawbar in the mill that will draw the collet up into the spindle, closing it.

It will make sense once you have the mill and the collets to look at.

Frederic

You buy the collets, and they fit into the R8 spindle.
    The bore on the collets let you insert milling and drilling bits.
    The collets are tapered, so when you tighten the top draw bar,
    the collet holds the tool in place. there are other styles that
    let you change the tool without taking out the collet
    (ER style, or the end mill holders with set screws).

By the way, you might want to check Grizzly ($72):
    G1646 12 pc. Precision R-8 Collet Set

or Travers Tool ($69 with holder):
    1/8" - 3/4" 12 PIECE R8 ROUND COLLET SET - TTC :: R8 Rotating Collet Holder Set | Travers Tool

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    The mill and the collet set will give you everything you need. R8 collets have a threaded hole, and there is a threaded drawbar in the mill that will draw the collet up into the spindle, closing it.

It will make sense once you have the mill and the collets to look at.
    Fred, Thanks! I knew the larger machine like my friend's Bridgeport uses a draw bar, but I could not tell if this machine had one in the pictures on the HF website. Thank you for confirming that IS the case. Now it makes perfect sense.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by ma1 View Post
    By the way, you might want to check Grizzly ($72):
    G1646 12 pc. Precision R-8 Collet Set
    Thanks! I have been on the Grizzly site for the last few days looking at all of the things I can buy to go with it. I was actually getting ready to buy the same X2 machine from the, until I found out about the $200 coupon from HF and the fact that HF's came with the R8 spindle. Looks like this is the better deal.

I'll check this one out too. I need to get a collet set and a good set of holding clamps. I was checking out the 3/8" kit with the hanging rack from Grizzly and it looks like HF has the same kit with their name on it.
    Jason

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting one website over another. It is just my habit to shop around a bit before I buy, maybe a bit obsessive sometimes

By the way, check Shars.com also, they might have a good price too.

These "precision" Chinese collets all have similar quality unless you go with a higher grade Chinese (Travers has these), or US made ones.

Good luck, and realize that you will spend more on tools than the X2

Thanks! I have been on the Grizzly site for the last few days looking at all of the things I can buy to go with it. I was actually getting ready to buy the same X2 machine from the, until I found out about the $200 coupon from HF and the fact that HF's came with the R8 spindle. Looks like this is the better deal.

I'll check this one out too. I need to get a collet set and a good set of holding clamps. I was checking out the 3/8" kit with the hanging rack from Grizzly and it looks like HF has the same kit with their name on it.

Slightly OT, but a quick note about the clamping kit... Maybe someone else with an X2 can chime in.

My X2 is in pieces at the moment (I need to clean off the red packing grease), but when I measured the T-slot opening in the table, I got values of approximately 11mm for the slot opening width.

The HF clamping kit at 58 Piece Combination Step Block and Clamp Set - 3/8"-16 NC Studs, 1/2" Clamps makes reference to 1/2" table slots. Since 1/2" is approximately 12.7mm, I'm wondering whether the HF kit is OK for use with the X2.

The LMS clamping kit at LittleMachineShop.com - Clamping Kit, 7/16" T-Slot claims that it is for 12mm slots, and it is described as a clamping kit for 7/16" T-slots. I believe that 7/16" equates to just over 11mm.

Both clamping kits use 3/8" studs.

So, are both kits good to go for the X2 table, or will the HF T nuts or clamps need to be milled down by a mm to fit?

I think that I bought the LMS kit, but I have temporarily misplaced it among all of the tooling and accessories that I got for my mini mill and mini lathe, so I can't actually measure or check it right now...

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    Slightly OT, but a quick note about the clamping kit... Maybe someone else with an X2 can chime in.

My X2 is in pieces at the moment (I need to clean off the red packing grease), but when I measured the T-slot opening in the table, I got values of approximately 11mm for the slot opening width.

The HF clamping kit at 58 Piece Combination Step Block and Clamp Set - 3/8"-16 NC Studs, 1/2" Clamps makes reference to 1/2" table slots. Since 1/2" is approximately 12.7mm, I'm wondering whether the HF kit is OK for use with the X2.

The LMS clamping kit at LittleMachineShop.com - Clamping Kit, 7/16" T-Slot claims that it is for 12mm slots, and it is described as a clamping kit for 7/16" T-slots. I believe that 7/16" equates to just over 11mm.

Both clamping kits use 3/8" studs.

So, are both kits good to go for the X2 table, or will the HF T nuts or clamps need to be milled down by a mm to fit?

I think that I bought the LMS kit, but I have temporarily misplaced it among all of the tooling and accessories that I got for my mini mill and mini lathe, so I can't actually measure or check it right now...
    This is a good point/question because I was looking at buying the same 3/8" kit for my X2. It would be nice to have some confirmation on which one to buy. Honestly, I was relying on HF's site because they showed the 3/8" kit as an "also purchased" item along with the mill.
    Jason

This is a good point/question because I was looking at buying the same 3/8" kit for my X2. It would be nice to have some confirmation on which one to buy. Honestly, I was relying on HF's site because they showed the 3/8" kit as an "also purchased" item along with the mill.
    Should work fine, I believe that's the clamp set I use on my x2