584,829 active members*
5,088 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazak Integrex Spindle Motor shorting

We have had 3 spindle motors short out in last 2 years from coolant in spindle motor anyone else having problem?

We just rebuilt our spindle, when it was removed we had a huge list of other parts needed. If your spindle motor is getting wet, you have some larger problems to deal with. The spindle b axis is complex.

The fix requires removing the spindle and repairing any damage while replacing all the seals, the seals all fail eventually some due to wear and others age. (assume 2-3days $5000 P&L if nothing really expensive is damaged) We have a MKI - not sure about the newer ones.

It sounds like your spindle is in good shape if the coolant was leaking into it, the repair would be closer to $20k. Those spindle bearings are expensive and won't last long if coolant gets to them.

Good Luck - fantastic machine!

The cost to repair the first time was about $35,000. and the last 2 times Mazak payed the cost except for down time. I believe Mazak knows what the problem is but has yet to own up to it. The first time we were down for approx 6 weeks and now Mazak seems better prepared as it must be coming up at multiple locations.

What series is this IV? What tooling do you have KM63 or Capto?

What year is the machine MK1,2,3,4?

This has been a ongoing issue since MK1. You may want to call Mike @ Spindles Plus - he makes modifications to some models to improve life. (I hope it works) Obviously it wouldn't be under Mazak's warantee, but you also won't be down for 6 weeks either and he also warantees his work. It will be significantly cheaper then Mazak, of course you are the only one who can decide how to spend your money.

The machine is a 2004 MK3. Thanks for the tips

Integrexman, CAPTO tooling and 2004 Integrex 300 MK III

Quote Originally Posted by mark hogan View Post
    Integrexman, CAPTO tooling and 2004 Integrex 300 MK III
    I guess it is not bad o-rings in the km63 tools then. Most of our integrex spindles that go bad were from coolant getting in the rear bearings. This was because tools lose there o-rings letting coolant flow back into the rear of the spindle flooding the the unclamp cylinder.

Integrexman-

Did you find a solution for keeping those in place? Ours is KM63.

Quote Originally Posted by rmarchjr View Post
    Integrexman-

Did you find a solution for keeping those in place? Ours is KM63.
    I think the reason o-rings get lost or damaged is because the machine changes tools before the coolant preasure has time to bleed off. When the tool unclamps the coolant and air blast then can dislodge the o-ring.
    1. If you are using Mazatrol and M153 use m-code units to put M154 M9 between tool changes. This will give time for the coolant preasure to go down before X goes up for the tool change.
    2. We have some KM63 tools made by Valinite and they seem lose o-rings more often than Kennametal's.
    3. Avoid using M153 with tools that have very small holes for the coolant to go through. If you have to use them put in a dwell to give the coolant preasure time to bleed off.
    4. If I am roughing and finishing with the same tool in the same unit I some times use M153 while roughing and put a M154 M8 for the finish tool. This gives time for the coolant preasure to go down while finishing.
    5. Machines that have 100psi pumps seem to have alot fewer o-ring problems than the 213psi machines.

Hello everyone,

I have been running an Integrex since it was bought 9yrs ago, we have had to replace the mill spindle with today being the3rd time, Mazak never gives us any feedback on what went wrong with the bad ones,
    except that it may have shorted out. do any of you get a failure report from the bad spindle?

Thanks guys.

Mazakracer, Mazak has a kit that will fix this problem but they don't tell their "valued customers" so they can continue rebuilding our spindles at $35.000 a copy. The problem is a design flaw from the start and Mazak has been well aware of it for years yet continues to let their "valued customers" suffer.The kit costs about $200. Email me at [email protected] and I will send you some photos and more.