585,599 active members*
3,570 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Help with a Stepper application?

Help with a Stepper application?

Hi, I'm very new to this and was wondering if any of you can help me. I have an application where I need to use a linear actuator that will just have this one movement(in and out), but I need to change the speed, and distance, I guess called different motion profiles? The actuator will travel about 8" in 30 to 80 seconds(in this range) with different start, middle, and end speeds. What I have is a Slo-Syn motor on this actuator, but I don't have anything else. The motor is a 4 wire I guess Bi polar Model# KMLO93FO8, it says 4.0 amps, 200 steps. What driver, and or controller should I get(and where), or should I start over with a different motor on this actuator? I need the strength close to the size of this motor, I think the actuator with this motor is rated close to 400 Lbs. of pushing force. I know this is a lot, but any help would be great, thanks, Enzo

See attached pic.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slo Syn Parker.jpg  

Get a g-201 gecko drive and turocnc,its free and the gecko is reduced to $104 till the end of this month. As for your feed rates i think turbocnc can handle that by calling a g93 which is inverse time feed rate,break out you calculator though,i have messed with it some and it was confusing(for me at least) Go to the DAK home page and download the manual, You will find it on page58. Hope this helps

Just about any Bi-Polar controller will work, I'd look at the Geckos since you only need one axis. Then you'll need software to drive the controller. Probably TurboCNC will work fine for you.

The problem I see right off is knowing whether or not the actuator will reach the top speed that you require, I presume it's reduced in speed to drive the linear portion.

Steppers lose power at higher RPM, and there is a point at which you'll get the peak rated power from the actuator, at lower speed.

What is the application? It will certainly perform as you like with differnt speeds & distances but whether it will move the load that you want to move is another question.