585,771 active members*
4,489 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Combined computer/motor driver stuff in one enclosure ideas/pictures?

Combined computer/motor driver stuff in one enclosure ideas/pictures?

I'm planning on putting my intel atom board and all my motor driver stuff in one box.. leaning towards a 20" metal toolbox currently.

I'm thinking the front would have a:
    -usb port for a thumb drive,
    -HD, network, and power status leds, possibly an ampmeter+enclosure temp reading.
    -computer power button.

The back would have:
    -x, y, z, and a axis motor plugs (using xlr-4 or xlr-5 pin connectors)
    -e-stop connector (xlr again)
    -usb ports for mouse, keyboard and 1 or two other things
    -vga port
    -ethernet port + wifi antenna
    -master on/off switch
    -place for power cable
    -2 outlets for a monitor and one other low-current device.

The sides would have fans out the wazooo for cooling

Have you folks tried anything similar? Have pictures for inspiration for others?

If so, what did you do to mount the vga port to the back of the box? I haven't found anything I have been impressed with yet and would prefer not to custom-make a pcb board/etc for this.

I have everything for my mill mounted in a single 24x24x12 Hoffman NEMA12 enclosure I bought for $99 on E-Bay: Power supplies, servo drivers, BOBs, VFD, PC, coolant and drawbar controls, etc. As long as you properly ground and shield everything, it'll work fine. For the VGA, just buy a short extension cable.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1050315.JPG   P1050316.JPG   P1050317.JPG   P1050314.JPG  

Hey, nice job with that. It looks very clean.

I was thinking about the extension cable, but I couldn't figure out how to mount that to the case. Just stumbled across vga wallplates on ebay however and realized how they did it.. gender changers! derp.

For your stepper motors runs, do you use an extra line for grounding and attach that to say... a stepper motor mounting scew using an eyelet connector.. or do you just run a separate single ground line from the mill frame to the case?

If you buy the right kind of extender cable, it's made for panel mounting. They're used all the time in A/V installations. Just google VGA cables and you'll find plenty of them.

With shielded cables, you connect only the SOURCE end of the shield to ground, NOT the destination end, or you defeat the whole point of the shield. Shielded cable is really not necessary for steppers. Doesn't hurt, but isn't necessary.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Well that is way to clean for my style.

A single ATX box can get the job done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mill CPU.JPG  

Hope you don't mind me butting in this thread, but it is relevant (I think, lol!).

May I ask what type of filters you folks are using for your air intake fans?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave->..

Quote Originally Posted by macpod View Post
    The back would have:
    -usb ports for mouse, keyboard and 1 or two other things
    -vga port
    -ethernet port + wifi antenna

If so, what did you do to mount the vga port to the back of the box? I haven't found anything I have been impressed with yet and would prefer not to custom-make a pcb board/etc for this.
    Mount the atom board at the rear of the enclosure just like a regular computer box ??
    Seems the easy way.

My project for today is an atom (d510) box, the board came with a rear plate (or whatever that piece of tin is called)
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

HimyKabibble, that is a very clean setup! I was looking for that black flexible conduit for my mill but could not locate it anywhere in a usable length - the same stuff they use on the x2/x3 for the motor conduit I think.

I noticed what looks like solid state relays. It caught my eye because I decided not to use them after learning that they commonly fail closed which I would like to avoid, especially for the spindle relay.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekus View Post
    HimyKabibble, that is a very clean setup! I was looking for that black flexible conduit for my mill but could not locate it anywhere in a usable length - the same stuff they use on the x2/x3 for the motor conduit I think.

I noticed what looks like solid state relays. It caught my eye because I decided not to use them after learning that they commonly fail closed which I would like to avoid, especially for the spindle relay.
    That "tubing" is similar to what's used on the X2, except split down the side, so it slips over the harness, rather than the harness having to be fed through it. The stuff you're looking for is readily available from DigiKey and others.

Those pictures are from when I first built it. Those SSRs have since been replaced with a big-a$$ motor contactor, after the SSRs failed (ON, of course...). SSRs are nice, in terms of small size, simple operation, but I won't use them again for anything critical, after this experience. Those were Crydom 60A SSRs, switching less than 10A, and they managed to fail after just a few months. I am not impressed....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Himy, I think you just got unlucky. I use those exact SSR's on machines all the time that switch much more then 10A that run all day long, for years and never had any issue. I don't blame you though. Once you have a bad experience with a product, its hard to get that bad taste out of your mouth.

This is just an idea, but I have been using these short rack mountable 2U mini-ATX style computer cases for my companies servers:

2U 2x5.25" + 2 x 3.5" Bays Rack Mount Chassis 14.96" Deep Micro ATX Server Case USB IPC-2022M

I am thinking about building a dedicated CNC computer with one and using one or both of the 5 1/2 drive bay spaces for my controller. I will most likely have all of my motor and limit switch connections on the back panel, but I can have the controller mounted in the drive bay for easy access.
    Jason
    RPC Electronics, LLC - www.rpc-electronics.com

Quote Originally Posted by fretsman View Post
    Hope you don't mind me butting in this thread, but it is relevant (I think, lol!).

Thanks,
    Dave
    Was this a question to me (it REALLY helps if people quote enough of the message they're responding to that one can get some context....)

The filters came from SurplusCenter, and are made for the large muffin fans I used. They cost all of about $.79 each! I made the "boxes" to house them, and the grills myself. The filters are similar to a coarse furnace filter, only thicker (about 1" thick). They'll basically keep rocks out....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by fretsman View Post

Thanks,
    Dave
    I have used the open cell foam filters in the past on my computers and they should work well enough as long as shavings are not poured into the fan openings. I am going to add one to my new controller box now that you mentioned it. Google "80mm fan filters", they come with a plastic holder which acts as a guard as well. They can be washed out if they get to messed up.

Here is the one I'm working on.

Power supply, motor drivers, PC, VFD, and break out board all in one. Behind the panel that the VFD, and PC is mounted on is my 80VDC power supply.

Behind the covers above the DVD drive is the filter capacitor for my 80VDC power supply.

the front will be covered by a hinged door that will only show the toggle.

You should also take a look at Bob Campbell's new box he's developing.

It should allow you to mount all your components in one box with very little wiring to do. I'm planning on using his box when I get around to building a router.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    Was this a question to me (it REALLY helps if people quote enough of the message they're responding to that one can get some context....)
    Actually, Ray, if you read my post, I said "you folks" which means that anyone who read my post, and could add any info, would have been very much appreciated. It wasn't directed at you specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    The filters came from SurplusCenter, and are made for the large muffin fans I used. They cost all of about $.79 each! I made the "boxes" to house them, and the grills myself. The filters are similar to a coarse furnace filter, only thicker (about 1" thick). They'll basically keep rocks out....

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Thanks so much to you and Geekus for your helpful info :cheers:
    Dave
    Dave->..

Quote Originally Posted by Geekus View Post
    You can get split-loom tubing from a Harbor Freight store. It comes in three different diameters (the length differs depending on diameter):

1/4" x 14 Ft. Protective Wire Wrap

3/8" x 10 Ft. Protective Wire Wrap

1/2" x 7 Ft. Protective Wire Wrap

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    Mount the atom board at the rear of the enclosure just like a regular computer box ??
    Seems the easy way.

My project for today is an atom (d510) box, the board came with a rear plate (or whatever that piece of tin is called)
    That's the easy way out I don't want a parallel cable looping back into the case. I'm using a d510 too by the way. If you are using emc2, I would suggest disabling the second processor to get of a big source of jitter.

I like these fan filter suggestions too. Just want to point out too the split loom tubing can be purchased from lowes/home depot too. Check by the lighting/electrical sections.