585,762 active members*
4,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > CNC Machining Centers > Making exotic hardwood jewellery

Question Making exotic hardwood jewellery

I'd like to get into making hardwood jewelley as a hobby (maybe as a small business), but I'm very confused about what sort of CNC machine I need.
    Should I buy a lathe, mill, or a router?
    How many axis do I really need?
    Do I really need the precision of servos or will stepper motors have enough accuracy for my application?

I'm going to start by making plugs, tunnels, and tapers with a 5.2mm (0.204") to 25.4mm (1") diameter in various lengths and styles.
    To give you a better idea of what I'm trying to produce, take a look at omerica's website:
    http://www.omericaorganic.com/woods.php

Is it even possible to mill parts this small?

I'm very green when it comes to CNC machining, so please bare with my silly questions.

Greg

Those look like they were made with a wood lathe. Do you want a ready to run machine, or one you can convert to cnc?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Synaptic, there should be no problem cutting these parts on a CNC lathe.
    Are you making these now? By hand?

I would suggest a 2 axis CNC lathe with stepper motors.
    Here's a great thread of a similar applications (small parts)
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8928

Gerry: I'd rather have a RTR machine since I'm starting from scratch.

buscht: Wouldn't I need I 3 axis mill to cut the inside and outside of the tunnels in one go? And I haven't begun making the jewellery just yet. I'm still in my planning and research phase of the project.

One other thing I failed to mention was that I'd also like to get into cutting metal and plastic down the road. If I could get one machine that would be versatile it would be preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Synaptic
    buscht: Wouldn't I need I 3 axis mill to cut the inside and outside of the tunnels in one go? And I haven't begun making the jewellery just yet. I'm still in my planning and research phase of the project.
    You don't need a 3 axis mill to cut the inside and outside of the tunnels in one go. I'm not sure what you mean by one go. These parts will take multiple steps to produce. If you mean one setup on the CNC with no secondary machining steps, then a lathe is still the way to go.

I've attached a simple concept drawing that show how you could cut the outside and drill the inside in one setup with a 2 axis lathe.

Keep in mind that I've never made parts like these so my suggestions are theories.

You really need to know and understand the manual operations to making these earrings thourougly before you can properly add the CNC steps.

Things like chip outs, part holding, back side machining, etc all will be the same whether the part is CNC or not.

CNC will be very helpful for creating parametric programs to offer various sizes and modifications to the product offering.

It sounds like an exciting project, good luck.
    Trent
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LATHE.JPG  

You don't need a 3 axis mill to cut the inside and outside of the tunnels in one go. I'm not sure what you mean by one go. These parts will take multiple steps to produce. If you mean one setup on the CNC with no secondary machining steps, then a lathe is still the way to go.
    Basically, I want to keep aliament errors to a minium. So, multiple steps is fine along as I don't have to reposition the part in the chuck to do another cut.

've attached a simple concept drawing that show how you could cut the outside and drill the inside in one setup with a 2 axis lathe.
    Could I use the same lathe tools where you have the drill? Ok could the entire assembly move up to cut inside the part? (I've attached a modified version of your picture for further detail).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LATHE.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Synaptic

Could I use the same lathe tools where you have the drill? Ok could the entire assembly move up to cut inside the part? (I've attached a modified version of your picture for further detail).
    Sure, its your machine. You can do anything you want! :cheers:

Sure, its your machine. You can do anything you want!
    Excellent!

Mini lathes seem to be cheaper than a 3 or 4 axis mills.
    But, would there be any advantage to have a mill over a lathe?
    Or is this apples and oranges?

Finally, any suggestions on machines, tools and accessories for what I want to do?
    I'd like to stay under $1000USD for my first machine with CAD/CAM software having a entirely different budget.

I'd also check liability insurance since these are insert in "body hole" devices.

I'd also check liability insurance since these are insert in "body hole" devices.
    Yup, if it turns from a hobby into a business, I'll be speaking with lawyers.

Any advice on specific lathe hardware I should be investigating?

I had never seen that site before, those are pretty nice. A lathe is really the only good way to make these. I made some plugs a long time ago and could never find a good way to seal them. They need some sort of coating so they don't splinter.

dont put a finish on the plugs except for oil or beeswax. wet them multiple times while finish sanding up to 1000 grit wet dry sandpaper. This will allow wood grain to expand and be sanded multiple times untill it does not expand when wet. Also be very informed when choosing wood types. This is very important because the use of the wrong wood could harm someones ears greatly.

Also, look into the kinds of wood you'll be machining, 'cause if you don't know what to look out for with exotic hardwoods, you can also hurt yourself greatly.
    Some few exotics have very bad effects from fine turning work - from disorientation and hallucinations to supposedly even outright toxicity if the very fine particulate from machining it is inhaled. Read up, and use a good mask if in doubt about the wood!