585,762 active members*
4,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Looking for information about CNC's

Hi All,
    I'm new here but have been interested in CNC for quite a while, I also have interests in Electronics and have been into computer hardware and software for a very long time.

What I need to know after seeing many forms of CNC, trapezoidal, screw driven, belt driven etc. is which type is the most appropriate for what I want to do?

I'm after as larger format as possible without breaking the bank.

Primary tasking: As accurate as possible PCB creation.
    Secondary tasking: Reasonably accurate woodworking using MDF/HDF.
    Tertiary Tasking: Light aluminium

Primary and secondary tasking are essential.
    Tertiary and the ability to dog food wood be useful.

And if i could know by both Homebrew and Commercial design types that would be very helpful.

:idea::idea::idea:

G'day mate,

not sure if you've checked the huge variety of home-builds on this forum, but I've managed to build the JOES2006 version which has been a really rewarding process and am achieving the accuracy you probably require. Check out my build thread in the link below.

Also check out Gully's (username Gully) version of the JOES. He has scaled it down a touch and achieved an excellent looking machine.

From my experience, for a home build, you'll spend at least $1500 by the time you're happy with the thing. Requires you to have access to a half decent workshop to manufacture the parts to the accuracy required.

Good luck and update this thread with your process.
    - Craig.
    my JOES2006 build thread - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106995

Info required

Quote Originally Posted by craigjh View Post
    G'day mate,

not sure if you've checked the huge variety of home-builds on this forum, but I've managed to build the JOES2006 version which has been a really rewarding process and am achieving the accuracy you probably require. Check out my build thread in the link below.

Also check out Gully's (username Gully) version of the JOES. He has scaled it down a touch and achieved an excellent looking machine.

From my experience, for a home build, you'll spend at least $1500 by the time you're happy with the thing. Requires you to have access to a half decent workshop to manufacture the parts to the accuracy required.

Good luck and update this thread with your process.
    Thanks for that, No I hadn't been aware of this machine at all, looks like the size I'm looking for.

One other question I've got is I've noted that some machines have two motors per axis not one does this help stop skewing? or in some other way help the machine with accuracy?

Cheers for the response BTW

From what I've seen, 2 motors are sometimes used on the X axis if a wide gantry is used. All depends on how rigid the whole machine has been constructed I guess. I class myself as "not experienced enough" to give you advice on the best way to go, but my particular machine has no issues with the one motor per axis (thanks to a good design by JOE).

JOES latest 4'x4' table design does use 2 motors for the X axis, due to the wider gantry.
    - Craig.
    my JOES2006 build thread - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106995