584,858 active members*
4,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Powermax 45 question

Hello, I have a new in the box powermax 45 that I am going to use for plasma table. I ordered it with a machine torch. My son has a school metal project that he wants to cut some thin stainless steel in the shape of the country like last year when he used the pm30 with hand torch. All we have is the machine torch for the new pm45.
    Is it possible to use the machine torch for some hand cutting/ If so how? thanks, any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

I assume it has the cpc connector? If so, you will have to hook-up a remote start switch.

Ergonomics may be an issue, but I suppose you could hold the torch like a flamethrower......

It'll be a lot better to get a hand torch for it. Since it's the quick-release torch connector, it'll take only a few seconds to change it over, then you can cut normally with it. It also will be useful in the future, since you can leave the machine torch attached to the machine if you need to do hand-cutting.
    Carl

thanks folks, yes I would like to have the hand torch also. I will see if I can find info on setting up a remote start.

cruzin,

Pins 3 and 4 on the cpc connector are the plasma start input signal. With the machine powered up and proper air pressure, and correct consumables in the torch....connect pin 3 to pin 4 and the torch will fire. Disconnect them and it will extinguish. Be careful hand cutting with a machine torch and a jury rigged switch! If you lived close to me I'd let you borrow my hand torch....

Jim Colt

Thanks Jim, It seems a lot of fuss to do this but my son needs to use it for a school project like he did last year. He freehand cut a shape of the state of Michigan out for a project and wants to something like that again this year. We had available a pm30 last year and my boss bought me a pm45 to make a cnc table and wanted the pm30 back when he got me the 45. I will look for details on where the cpc connector is at. As long as I do not have to alter the pm45 I think this will work. thanks again. Mark

While looking in the box this came in I found a remote pendent and checked the pinout and it has pin 3 and 4. And reading about it it looks like this is what I need for remote start isnt it? being this is a machine torch and limited consumables came with it. Will I need to get different consumables to use this by hand?
    thanks for the help

Yes, the remote pendant is exactly what you need. It is designed precisely to do just that. Lucky you!

You wont need any different consumables to cut by hand. Be careful though, it may be unwieldy, and tricky to start and stop the arc by ones-self.

Its my sons project, Ill start and stop it for him!

It would be better to use the shield for a hand torch rather than the machine shield. Part number should be 220674.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by I Lean View Post
    It would be better to use the shield for a hand torch rather than the machine shield. Part number should be 220674.
    Ordered one 2 days ago and picked it up yesterday. same part number. thanks for reply to the thread