584,874 active members*
4,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Home Anodizing

Is anyone out there doing any anodizing on aluminum?? I am looking to anodize some aluminum parts I make. Black is the main color but would probably do other colors as well. I would appreciate getting pointed in the right direction.

Is this the missing link? This might lead you in the right direction...
    Aluminum Anodizing at home - DIY aluminium Anodising
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Do a Google search on "anodize aluminum" and you'll find lots of articles. Read several of them, and you'll stumble across the most common errors others have made. Then you can either repeat them, or avoid them, as you desire.

I think that Ron Newman has one of the original web sites on home anodizing. One thing I saw on his website, or someone elses site was the use of lots of identical coolers, such as Rubbermaid, to hold various chemicals and dyes in his shop. Nice to have a well fitting lid on each cooler, to slow evaporation and keep the odors and gases to a minumum.

You do need to have a well ventilated shop for this.

http://www.atmsite.org/contrib/Newman/anodize/

Tom

I found that link really good too. Nearly duplicated here.:withstupi
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

It occurs to me that farm supply stores sell something known as "#9 wire". Suspect that this is a fencing supply.

But also seem to recall that this is also an aluminum wire. Might be a lot cheaper than buying it at Radio Shack.

Tom

That looks like aluminum ground wire for antenna installations.

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelTom View Post
    It occurs to me that farm supply stores sell something known as "#9 wire". Suspect that this is a fencing supply.

But also seem to recall that this is also an aluminum wire. Might be a lot cheaper than buying it at Radio Shack.

Tom