585,749 active members*
3,825 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

O2 and N2 pricing

Hi, I am doing some rough estimates for a project (not machining related) and it will need fairly large amounts of O2 and some N2.

The O2 purity needs are fairly low - 75 + %, but 90% is better if not a lot more money. O2 pressure requirement is very low - 10 PSI is enough.

The N2 needs are just blanketing N2 - so 95+ % is fine, again, it is a trade off of price vs. purity.

My personal experience is:
    - LN2 from portable dewars, LN2 plants, and large delivered LN2, but not on the pricing side
    - I have only used cylinder O2 before, so I don't have much feel for that pricing, but the quantity needed is far larger than cylinders

On-line, I have seen O2 supplies from pressure swing beds for 90+ % O2, which is fine.

Anyone have any business experience with purchasing equipment or getting large O2 deliveries ?

Thanks

Harry

Hi Harry,

I would recommend that you talk to your your local Airgas about your situation and needs. Many times, you should be able to get your gas flowing with little capital expense. Nitrogen and Oxygen are easy to produce in a relitive high purity, 98% or better at a very reasonable cost.

There are many options available for gas delivery, so its best to find someone who can help you find the right solution.

You can really cut your capital costs upfront by buying tanks from people. Almost any welding tank. Craigslist it. Oxy, argon, nitrogen, mig gas, gas bottles, you get the point. Call the welding suppliers, and ask about their rental and purchase prices. Here the rental cost for a year pays for the tank. They don't care about the cylinder gas coming in, and if the cylinder even looks decent that's it even swap just choose your gas. Delivery would be free I was commercial. 15 bucks as a residence. Saved myself a grand easy setting up my with oxy acetylene , propane acetylene, pure co2, pure argon, mig mix gas. My local county trash dump has a gas bottle dump section. Sometimes their are 120's and almost always lower sized HP tanks, sometimes full. Now my trash dump is county owned so won't allow "recycling" and it is a shame, as I have seen many near new full bottles passing through. What are the cfm flow rate expected? I'm sure a micro gas refinery is within a reasonable figure if volume requirements and location made other options out of reason. Or as a way of cutting long term ongoing capital costs?
    innovating the imitated
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLT0IPUIWKw2G8Wdb6c291t_hPqyaEXCFq