584,814 active members*
5,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Jewelry Mill

Jewelry Mill

Hello,

I'm looking at setting up a small cnc mill for jewelry. I have been reading up on a few machines but would like to hear from some one that has one of these machine all setup. I plan on adding rotary table as my 4th axis.

The 2 machine I'm looking at now are the Taig 2019CR (ER16 spindle) and the Sherline 5400.

From both machine witch one would have the faster feed/rate if they were both setup with the same stepper motors? Or maybe I should be asking witch one has the better stock lead screws?

Would there be a better machine in the 1500$ price range I should be looking at?

Thanks

Boboxx,

The Taig CNC mill, hands down is far superior. Sherline builds the best fourth axis for your application.

I have been machining wax for almost 20 years and for the money you can't beat the Taig CNC / Sherline fourth axis combo.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

I agree, the taig is better suited. The sherline, to me is a little bit on the small side. its a tiny little guy, I have a manual sherline and yes its tiny. not incapable, just really small. Did I mention that its tiny?

Out of the 2 machines, do not base your purchase on feedrates. They are metal on metal as far as the lead screws. Not to mention dovetail ways. The faster you run them, the faster they will wear.

Do yourself a favor and do not even think about a maxnc machine.

I have seen many waxes come off of a taig that are mind blowing, they just require constant attention. Dovetail gibbs tend to need constant adjustments.and plenty of lube.

Cool thanks everyone!

I have a Taig on the way with a G540 and 166oz steppers.

Should be here this week!

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Boboxx,

The Taig CNC mill, hands down is far superior. Sherline builds the best fourth axis for your application.

I have been machining wax for almost 20 years and for the money you can't beat the Taig CNC / Sherline fourth axis combo.

Jeff...
    What are some good resources to go about learning to machine wax and make jewelry?

There are alot of video on youtube

Tomshane,

Join the 3dcadjewelry.com forum also Ganoksin is a great resource.

See attached links:

3dcadjewelry Forum

Ganoksin - The complete Gem and Jewelry Making Information Resource.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.