585,875 active members*
4,052 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

any diy position feedback designs?

Hi All,

Last week I finished building my first CNC machine and it cuts more poorly than I expected. When I use the machine to draw with a pen I get perfect results, but it can't cut .25" plywood well at all.
    It has a 3'x3' cutting area and is built out of conduit pipes and 1x4's - so I knew not to expect much. Anyway, there are a lot of improvements I can make to this machine (for instance, I could replace the stretchy plastic tubing that I used to connect the stepper motors to the lead screws, I could use iron pipe instead of conduit, my z axis is too far from the z gantry, etc).
    However, it occurred to me that an inexpensive position feedback system would be a better way to improve a low-end DIY machine. I'm thinking of some kind of sensor(s) attached to the spindle that can track the relative position of the spindle. Software would then be able to keep the spindle on track.

But first... does anyone know of any such existing feedback system? Or DIY implementations?

Thanks...
    -ted

If it existed, it would cost far more than the rest of your machine. The answer, is to build a better machine.

My router uses conduit skate bearings, mdf and plywood and cut's very good, as long as I stay within it's limitations.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by emorning View Post
    Hi All,

Last week I finished building my first CNC machine and it cuts more poorly than I expected. When I use the machine to draw with a pen I get perfect results, but it can't cut .25" plywood well at all.
    It has a 3'x3' cutting area and is built out of conduit pipes and 1x4's - so I knew not to expect much. Anyway, there are a lot of improvements I can make to this machine (for instance, I could replace the stretchy plastic tubing that I used to connect the stepper motors to the lead screws, I could use iron pipe instead of conduit, my z axis is too far from the z gantry, etc).
    However, it occurred to me that an inexpensive position feedback system would be a better way to improve a low-end DIY machine. I'm thinking of some kind of sensor(s) attached to the spindle that can track the relative position of the spindle. Software would then be able to keep the spindle on track.

But first... does anyone know of any such existing feedback system? Or DIY implementations?

Thanks...
    -ted
    Your machine may be working far better than you're thinking if using
    a pen gives you good results....

Reason is, there's very little forces involved with drawing with a pen
    or marker, but with those rubber tubing couplings, then you need
    a little force to push the router thru wood. The rubber tubes can & will
    twist and flex as far as possible. Giving you some very wobbly results.

I used those vacuum tube couplings on my very first machine and it took
    days of head-scratching to figure out how much trouble they were
    causing me. My pen drawings were coming out great too....

May be only a 50% improvement by replacing them with more solid
    couplings, but it's a solid start to trouble shooting...

John

Hi John,

Hey - that's good news about the coupler.
    I'll make the easy changes to my machine before I go off the deep end :-)

thanks,
    -ted

I've been beat to the punch but I would also recommend going with something like LoveJoy fittings. They are pretty cheap but are stable enough for most wood cutting needs.

My first CNC used automotive hose with hose clamps....worked OK until I pushed a little too much....then the circles were ovals and squares were....well not square....