585,759 active members*
3,948 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC lathe and mill help

Well after unsucessful attemts trying to build my own tools and cnc some ive already got I've decided i want to go the cnc ready or already cnc'ed way.

I've got a budget of £2000 including tooling and i need a lathe and mill.

I need the mill to be cnc ready or already cnc'ed but the lathe doesnt need to be yet.

I don't need to create large parts really, on the mill the largest part for the time being will be 4" x 4" but the mill will need to be able to work with a variety of materials including ti, alu and delrin. The largest parts on the lathe will be 8" long and 1" in diameter.

Both machines need to have the highest accuracy possible for their size that i can afford, more the lathe then the mill though.

I've been looking at the sieg x2 mill and the sieg C1 lathe but im not sure how much backlash will be on these machines. I already know i can pick up the motor mounts and the stepper motors and control software for these machines.

I've also been looking at the sherline range and was thinking about buying a lathe with a large bed and the milling col attachment already cnc ready but again im not sure what the backlash will be like.

Also if i've got enough money in my budget i would like to purshase a 4 th axis for the mill.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Better look at the Sieg X3...it's more rigid, larger cutting envelope.

I have been looking at the sieg x3 too but can't find nay motor mounts for it, any idea where to get them?

www.engineerstoolroom.co.uk has a new range of cnc mills coming out very soon. Might be worth giving them a ring and finding out how soon. I am going up there next week to setup the software for them so the release date must be close.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

thanks guys, i think maybe what i should really ask is should i go with taig, sherline or somthing like a sieg? This should give me a better idea of what i should be looking for.

I would also stick with a machine that has an R8 spindle and not the MT2/3. I understand that Taig's are good mills.

Interestingly i actually came across a website with a guy doing the same thing i wanted to do with taig machines so i think i may go with a taig.

I don't know if the Taig will comfortably swing a piece of stock 8"x1" and still allow you to turn it. I have owned a Taig lathe, and would not recommend one because it is suited to tiny parts, probably not as big as you would like.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I've opted for a Sieg C1 Lathe anyway, so i should be alright, thinking about the taig mill at the mo.

Hi Com,

Have you thought about getting the Sieg C3 lathe? The C1 will probably do what you want, but the C3 will be more rigid and should be able to take bigger cuts. I find that you can't always get the right size stock for parts at home, so you often end up turning down big lumps of metal. It can be painfully slow with a very small machine.

I have got a CNCed Sieg X1 with the standard leadscrews. There is barely any backlash and the accuracy is quite good. I can't see this situation lasting forever, so I do have ballscrews waiting to be installed. The Taigs and Sherlines shouldn't have any problem with backlash or accuracy either - particularly if the manufacturer says it is suitable for CNC.

Regards
    Warren
    Have a nice day...

I would have got the C3, but i've already brought the C1 now as im so impatient with these things. doh! Anyway i think im definatly going to go with the taig, its pretty dam cheap too so thats another plus. Just as well as im not going to have as big of a budget as i originly thought.