585,753 active members*
3,874 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Fusion X2 upgrade kits

Do their ball screw kits remove all backlash? I'm still on the fence about getting the HF 44991. The sloppiness and backlash out the box has me thinking I should just install ball screws immediately if I order one.

Thanks

Canceled the order. Considered the LMS which is in stock.

Is it worth considering canceling your order? The X2 generic design is continuing to evolve. Here in the UK we have the X2 similar to the HF 44991 but there are models which are not only painted differently but have other features. For example the latter designs have split X and Y nuts that can be adjusted for near zero backlash.

I have found that the weight and the lugs used to mount the mill to a bench are good indicators of how much that particular mill has developed. The ones with an integral single flange on each side of the base casting weigh in some 20 Lbs heavier and have other good things like split nuts on the lead screws - longer tables two handles on the X axis etc. I would try and get one with a 500 watt motor or one of the new high power single gear VFD motor types. The extra cost from the Little Machine Shop is less than $100.

Just a thought - Regards - Pat

PS Yes the CNC Fusion kit should give you a mill that has imperceptible back lash. A standard mill with adjustable split nuts will achieve similar results when adjusted correctly. But do recognise that these mills are not as ridgid as the super industrial types and can not hope to achieve micron perfection. But then they cost only a fraction of those industrial machines.

unless the cnc fusion kit has duel nuts there will always be some backlash even with oversize balls. The real benefit of ball screws are lower friction and usually a larger pitch and better accuracy but that depends on the grade bought.

My x1 was run on standard screws for 5 years but it requires a higher torque motor setup.

Thanks for the the replies the HF mill was under $500 shipped, but OOS.