585,942 active members*
3,586 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Toolbreakage sensor - Help with fanuc ladder data table

Toolbreakage sensor - Help with fanuc ladder data table

We purchased a used VMC with a Fanuc Oi-mc controller - unfortunately it came with limited documentation. This machine has a toolbreakage sensor which i can see in the ladder (symbol = LASER) but am having trouble figuring out how to operate it.

The thing that i don't understand is the DXXXX.X values. These change during an ATC command which makes sense, but i don't know how these tie into the Tool Data table or how to setup/configure them.

Any ladder guru's who can lend some insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails laser.jpg  

So i think that i have this mostly figured out. For reference, the tool breakage sensor is a static sensor, mounted in the double arm, random type tool magazine - so it can only check one tool (see Broken tool detection systems | Tool breakage sensing systems and installation).

It looks like the ladder is set up to check tool 10. I figured this out based on the binary values of D0000.0 - D0000.4 on the first line of code, as well as D0012.0 - D0012.5. These addresses relate to the 'G-data' tool field in the controller.

For the first line of logic that initiates TLSP, the binary value of '01010' for D0000.0 - D0000.4 will latch TLSP on. The same thing applies to D0012.0 - D0012.5 in the following ladder lines; a value of 001010 will turn on TLBRK. Both of these binary values equate to the number 10 in decimal.

D0000 represents the tool in the spindle. So if tool 10 goes in the spindle, TLSP comes on and latches. Tool 10 then needs to then return to the tool magazine in to the pot associated with D0012 in the tool table in order to be checked.

This last part is where i'm still a little confused. Since this is a random tool changer, this means that i will only be able to check T10 once unless i perform some redundant tool changes. For example, i return tool 10 to the pot associated with D0012 (lets say this pot contains Tool 12 for simplicity) after its finished, and it checks to make sure its not broken - ok fine. Tool 12 is now in the spindle. After its finished, if we put tool 10 back in the spindle, to machine another feature (say after an index is performed), the next tool would need to be Tool 12 in order for tool 10 to be checked (even if we don't need that tool for the next indexed OP). If we instead grab, say tool 5, tool 10 would be returned to a pot other than D0012 and it would not be checked. I may need to write a macro to ensure the check happens.