585,978 active members*
4,586 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > 1988 LB15 IGF questions...
Page 1 of 2 12

1988 LB15 IGF questions...

My Okuma has IGF, and I read that people swear by it. I have always programmed via mastercam, but since my machine has it, I want to play with it. The first screen says type in a program name and hit write. This is as far as I get...no matter what I choose, when I hit enter, it doesn't accept it. What am I doing wrong? I would appreciate a step by step explanation on how to use the IGF feature; none of my books have any information on it. Thanks.

Make sure you start the program name with a letter, not a number!

I have. It gives me a 2151 error. Do you start with naming the file? Thats the screen that pops up...name the file.

Quote Originally Posted by WGJ View Post
    I have. It gives me a 2151 error. Do you start with naming the file? Thats the screen that pops up...name the file.
    Which controller is on your machine?
    What is the model?

According to an OSP5020L Alarm book, 2151 is a "Command Character" error. From reading the description it seems that this error is related to something like you entering a command, in edit mode, manually, rather than using one of the function keys and whatever command you have entered is incorrectly spelled.

Answer the first 2 questions and I will have a better idea of where you are coming from.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by broby View Post
    Which controller is on your machine?
    What is the model?
    It's an LB-15 with 5020. Don't ask, I just know.

I always name my programs A that is all. When it gets saved to PC I change the name. This avoids all the bull@#$@ with naming programs at the control.

R
    The beaten path, is exclusively for beaten men.

Oh oookaaayyy why not? LOL

Default name for an IGF file on those machines is "I.IGF", actual naming of the ISO program is the very last step of the process, and yes, I used to always use "A.MIN" also!
    Saves mucho typing!

Quote Originally Posted by littlerob View Post
    It's an LB-15 with 5020. Don't ask, I just know.

I always name my programs A that is all. When it gets saved to PC I change the name. This avoids all the bull@#$@ with naming programs at the control.

R
    Someone's had a baaaad day.

WGJ
    what are you exactly typing ???

As Brain says, letters and/or letters then numbers, no dot, no extension, no *, $, _, spaces, \, or / allowed

Maybe my order of operations is wrong. When I hit IGF...I see the screen in pic one. When I type A.MIN , I see the screen in pic two. Thats why I ask, how do you use IGF...step by step? I really have no clue; I have never used or seen it used. I just want to see HOW it works so I CAN use it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IGF1.JPG   A.MIN.JPG  

Didn't I start this thread by saying "1988 LB15 IGF..." ???
    Didn't say 5000LG (same as 5020 like Rob said), but did they come with anything else back then?

And Happy Birthday (Rob) you Hippy!

hit graphic edit A and it should take you to the next page where youll fill in blank data od oal id if there is one.

your going into igf and the machine will output the min.

WGJ
    Everybody's telling you how to start the IGF session

the alarm # is saying it is a user input error, you're punching too many buttons

do not use a full stop and extension, you are just giving a name to the .IGF file.

when you save a word document, do you put the .DOCX extension

after you have written the .IGF file, and gone past the layout of the paths, and when ready to POST PROCESS (get the NC code ), you will be asked what filename you want the .MIN file to then.

This is not asked at the beginning

the characters that you can use in any filename is restricted
    no dot, no extension, no *, ?, $, _, no spaces, \, or / permitted

in other words only use letters, numbers and the minus sign and the filename length maximum is ( I think ) 16 characters

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Someone's had a baaaad day.
    I was not having a bad day, just short and to the point.

Greg I am going to agree with Steve on this you are getting ahead of yourself. It is asking to begin process 1, not name the program. Redneck.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by RWACKO View Post
    hit graphic edit A and it should take you to the next page where youll fill in blank data od oal id if there is one.
    He's hit the nail on the head. You press F1 (graphic edit) first then enter your file name "A" (or whatever name starting with a letter and up to 8 characters) with no extension. Hit the write key and away you go.

I've never understood why It just doesn't tell you that on the IGF startup page?!

Best regards,

I now see how the data is entered. Still not sure how to fully generate a program with IGF...but I am moving forward. The opening screen sure is confusing...

And as far as using "A.MIN" in my opening screen (Superman), I was only doing what was recommended here. I tried words, numbers, words/numbers.min, words/numbers.igf....everything under the sun. The whole time...I shoulda been hitting graphic edit....

And to me, it gets more strange as I go deeper into it. Maybe if I had seen it done at some point I would like it more...

Good thing I have CAM.

A manual for you all

Opps cant upload....

Quote Originally Posted by WGJ View Post
    I now see how the data is entered. Still not sure how to fully generate a program with IGF...but I am moving forward. The opening screen sure is confusing...

And as far as using "A.MIN" in my opening screen (Superman), I was only doing what was recommended here. I tried words, numbers, words/numbers.min, words/numbers.igf....everything under the sun. The whole time...I shoulda been hitting graphic edit....

And to me, it gets more strange as I go deeper into it. Maybe if I had seen it done at some point I would like it more...

Good thing I have CAM.
    Many machine control commands and alarms are cryptic, to say the least. Okuma controls are super - I have a 1983 LB15 with an OSP5000L and IGF. Great machine. But, they do have their quirks and idiosyncrasies like everything else.

I had wondered if perhaps the CNC was expecting you to only enter a "name" without the file extension. Unlike Fanuc where the "O" number is how the CNC manages its files, the OSP uses names and extensions like ".MIN" ".SUB" etc.

Obviously the ".SUB" is a suprogram, but I never found why ".MIN" is for main programs..

Actually, once you understand the method used by IGF, it all falls into place rather easily and logically.
    I personally, find the older IGF very easy to use.
    All processes have to be setup and controlled by the programmer, no auto selection of what gets done when or how.

Gee Wiz guys I wish we could move away from comparing Fanuc to OSP. In this forum.

Robert

Hey Robert,
    The way I read that last post was not so much as a comparison, but as an explanation of a difference between the Fanuc and Okuma naming system.

As for the .MIN extension... that is from the word MaIN like as in you have .SUBprogram
    .SSB for System SuBprogram
    .SDF for ScheDule File.

Similar to TeXT files I suppose...

Cheers
    Brian.

Page 1 of 2 12