585,906 active members*
3,760 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

nesting for plasma cutting

Hello all..
    One month ago I bought bobcad nest software for dynatorch cnc plasma cutting machine. But I can’t get it to do the nesting correctly
    I attach two screenshot and is very clearly to see that there is room for more parts

Please if anybody is using this software can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
    Thank you laurits
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nest one.jpg   nest two.jpg  

Sorry, not using that nesting software... but can tell you that is typical of most "true shape" nesting softwares...

I would say look for setting that allow you the change the nesting stratagy, rotation angle limits of the parts, time to attempt to nest.
    These are all limiting factors that most "true shape" nesting programs use to "work faster" than nesting manually.

Again have not used bobcad nest software, but have worked with Pro Nest, Sigma Nest, and a few other lesser know packages.

The problem is that nesting involves shape recognition. That is much easier for a human (something we do every day) than it is for a computer. It takes a lot of complex code to do it right (perfect). If you have a CAM tool that allows you to rotate, step & repeat and repeat multiple groups of objects, it's usually faster to do it manually. Unless you are a job shop that does lots of small qty shapes that are continually changing where laying up a sheet is new each time, the nesting programs have a long payout.

Some of the high dollar programs deliver on the promise.

WE-CIM has a really really good nesting software built in with the cad program. Its also sold as the premier software from dynatorch. Give Mr. Gary Wittlock a call and he'll probably get you set up with some decent stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy_Wittlock View Post
    WE-CIM has a really really good nesting software built in with the cad program. Its also sold as the premier software from dynatorch. Give Mr. Gary Wittlock a call and he'll probably get you set up with some decent stuff.
    i agree, plus if you have any questions you can get a hold of gary and he'll walk you through, and if thats not enough his sons on this site and will help you out..
    how much better can that get..

Yeah, the nesting is really good stuff though, its simple, you can drag and drop, you basically just tell it the sheet size and how many you want. Then somehow its works some kinda cnc machining magic, and you get 800 parts out of a sheet. For example, I'm 18 years old, never had any autocad training my entire life, and i can draw, nest, and code, within ten minutes. (granted the guy that developed it is my father lol) But all the customers i know of absolutely love the program, so give it a look. www.wittlockeng.com

Jeremy Wittlock
    Bare Metal Fab.

Quote Originally Posted by suzukirmz View Post
    Hello all..
    One month ago I bought bobcad nest software for dynatorch cnc plasma cutting machine. But I can’t get it to do the nesting correctly
    I attach two screenshot and is very clearly to see that there is room for more parts

Please if anybody is using this software can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
    Thank you laurits
    I too dropped the $$$$$ for BobCAD/Nest. I have presented nesting problems to BobCAD's tech help that even they can't seem to get figured out. Yet their sales staff continues to want to sell new or upgrade software.

In my case I burn 15" Dia. circles from 4' X 8' sheets. BCC will nest parts to what is left over to the outside edges of the sheet. IT WILL NOT!!! nest anything to the area between the circles. That translated to a couple square feet of material BCC nesting doesn't recognise as avalible for use.

For what I cut I would benefit from a chain cutting feature. Not many CAM software(s) offer that feature either.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

......WE-CIM..... cough cough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy_Wittlock View Post
    ......WE-CIM..... cough cough.
    Can you run nesting on the following parts & quantity & post a screen shot & use 48" X 79" piece of plate Please use Chain cutting on all parts but the axle rib

(1) 10 SC 64 axle rib
    (66) 10SC Gusset
    (60) LW- Boom Jack Bottom
    (60) LW-Boom Jack Top
    (72) LW-10-21 short gusset
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'll try and get to it... I'm really busy, but if you call my father He'd be happy to give you a demo with your parts over the net. He's on his way to Dynatorch right now for training so if i have time i'll give it a whirl.

That would be great. I'm interested in your product In fact I talked with your dad around a year ago on the subject but never followed through. I just ran the exact parts mentioned above burned from 1" A36 plate. I hand wrote the chain cutting sequences. Or actually drew the sequences in AutoCad then generated G code on that.

That file, cutting with Oxy Fuel on 1" plate is about a 5 hr program.

I snapped a few pics of the cut parts still laying on the burn table I'll try to post this evening.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cut program 001.jpg   cut program 008.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by millman52 View Post
    Can you run nesting on the following parts & quantity & post a screen shot & use 48" X 79" piece of plate Please use Chain cutting on all parts but the axle rib

(1) 10 SC 64 axle rib
    (66) 10SC Gusset
    (60) LW- Boom Jack Bottom
    (60) LW-Boom Jack Top
    (72) LW-10-21 short gusset

i would like to see that screenshot too

One part don't has a closed boundary when I load the dxf files into NestProfessor, is it the reason that you couldn't get right nesting result.

corel draw... make a 4x8 rectangle... place all parts within the rectangle... delete rectangle border and import to sheetcam...cut!!... this is a simple procedure... if your table takes a
    5' x 10' sheet then make that the size... my table is 4x8 so i usually make the rectangle 1/2" smaller each way ,,, ensure the dxf you are adding to the nest are good prior and then fit them into the rectangle you have created...and make sure you delete the rectangle border before cuttting... thats just the way i nest...

EDD