584,857 active members*
4,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Evaluating a Gerber Sabre

Not quite sure this is the right forum for this... I didn't see one that was closer, or Gerber specific... Feel free to point me in the right direction, nicely, or obnoxiously...

Folks, I'm looking at a Gerber Sabre 408 next week. This would be the first CNC I've owned/run. There was a 408 in a shop I previously worked at, so I know it'll handle the work we do, but I don't know quite how to inspect it for condition...

Is there a way to get a sense of wear on one of these machines without running it? Visually, it looks good, with no table crashes, or wear on the controls. It spent its life at a sign company for whatever that's worth... Appears to have a coolant system, so I'd guess perhaps it ran some aluminum, which is logical for signs.

Thanks,
    -Tim

I would just look at everything very closely. I owned a gerber demension 200 4x4 for a couple years. It was ok. Be careful, I think all gerbers only use gerber software only. Was a major problem for me.
    I have since then sold it and purchased a Camaster 408 x3, running aspire software.
    Good luck!

Sorry I'm late on this.

Check the lead screws for bare spots and apparently the toolchangers are notoriously bad. I have one (without a toolchanger) and I really like it.

Talking

Well, I'm picking it up on Tuesday... I didn't find any visible issues, and placed a bid accordingly... It went right to the bid limit, but that was it. :banana:

No tool changer on this unit. I had heard nothing negative about the ATC, but as it isn't there, it doesn't matter. The machine that was at a prior shop I worked at had one, and I never heard of an issue with theirs, but then, they really never ran their router very hard, nor did they run through many tool changes...

Now, all I gotta do, is move it, set it up, learn how to run it, and then make it pay for itself... If the first three steps work out, the last will take care of itself...