584,866 active members*
4,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Cutting chamfers and fillets?

Cutting chamfers and fillets?

Hi All,

I am just starting out with Mastercam X5 for solidworks. I have been able to get mastercam to produce a tool path for flat surfaces and for pockets, but I cant understand how to produce a tool path for a fillet or a chamfer.

I have created a solid square box in solidworks and put a chamfer on each of the four top edges, very simple. I can get Mastercam to mill off the excess material from my stock setup, but for the life of me I cant make a tool path for the fillets.

Please can someone point me in the correct direction. I am pulling my hair out after 3 days.

Thanks
    Simon

Most of the time fillets follow contours, so just use the contour (edges) and create your tool with a corner radius. (2d contour with a ballnose/bullnose endmill - it's that easy)

Chamfers - use the same contours (edges) as the main wall, use 2d contour toolpath like above, then select 2d chamfer and define the size of chamfer you want - create a spot drill/chamfermill type of tool and you are done.

Post a model or file and I can help if you need.
    Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for getting back. Not quite sure how to put your answer into action. I tried to select a ball nose tool and a 2D contour but I still dont get what I am expecting.

I have attached a JPG of the type of cuts I am trying to make, if you are able to provide any help it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Simon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails very_simple_box.jpg  

SELECT CREATE SURFACE FROM SOLID , SELECT THE SOLID , ENTER,
    SELECT TOOLPATHS SURFACE FINISH ,SELECT RADIUS SURFACE YOU JUST CREATED SELECT FLOW FROM BOTTOM TO TOP ADJUST PARAMETERS UNTIL U LIKE IT ..

Sorry to be so Dim, but when you say create surface from Solid, are you in Mastercam at that point or Solidworks. I dont see a Create surface from Solid menu option in either the Mastercam menu or in Solidworks menus.

Just so we are singing from the same sheet, I am using MasterCam X 5 for Solidworks.

Thanks

Sorry - by fillet I thought you meant an inside radius. For an outside radius, that you don't want to use a corner rounding endmill for, use a surfacing toolpath with a ball with a tight stepover (.010-.020") (depending on how smooth you want the surface.) I would use a cornerrounder if you can, though - if it is a normal fraction/size since it will save you incredible amounts of time over surfacing.

For surfacing, you need to select the "Faces" that are rounded for the main drive surfaces and select the top face as a face to avoid (under the "check" section). I don't think you need to create surfaces from solids - at least you don't in the "regular" mastercam. You are free to just select the faces.

If I have a few minutes here I will get you a quick file - I assume that Solidworks X5 will open a regular X5 part...?
    Tim

Thanks Tim, What do they say, a picture speaks a thousand words. A file to look at would be really helpful.

Your a star

Thanks
    Simon

Simon,

This is just a simple surface parallel toolpath. Different surfacing toolpaths follow the material differently, (That sounds obvious enough...lol) so experiment with them to see what they do.

Chamfers are much simpler as they are just 2d contours with 2d chamfer selected.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tim

maybe this is the wrong area, But I am assuming a 3ax mill would have no issue milling a fillet. Is there a specific cutting tool used or a flat cut tool wih a suitbale tool path do the trick..

PS having some issue with cam-works for a very simple fillet!

Quote Originally Posted by itolond View Post
    maybe this is the wrong area, But I am assuming a 3ax mill would have no issue milling a fillet. Is there a specific cutting tool used or a flat cut tool wih a suitbale tool path do the trick..

PS having some issue with cam-works for a very simple fillet!

Well, first off you are correct. This IS the wrong area. This is the Mastercam forum not the crapworks..er camworks forum.

Maybe search here: CamWorks to see if there is a similar string or post a new string regarding your question. I'd attach a picture of what you are after but on first guess I'd say that a square endmill is not the ideal tool to profile or surface a fillet.
    Tim

Can you give me your file I will add the fillet paths in Mastercam 4 solid works.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Hi and thanks for the offer.

I would like to get to the bottom of this, I did change to a chamfer with the same result.....go figure

Re: Cutting chamfers and fillets?

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooou! WallyZ for actually posting a mcx file so I could see a example. it really help out my friend!

Re: Cutting chamfers and fillets?

Sorry to say if you want a cleaner surface all the way around and not all that jumping use Flowline or surface contour.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .