585,743 active members*
4,828 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > I want all the way holes on Hole Machining

I want all the way holes on Hole Machining

Hi Group,

I am following Tormach's Sprutcam video on Hole Machining to the letter but I can not get this to work easily. When I add the curves to be holed and set up all the parameters accordingly, I get the drill to only spot surface the part. This is what I see in the simulation and sure enough, on the real run as well.

The only way in which I can get this to happen is if I go inside the job and change the Z MIN to the actual coordinate, in this case -2. The default is "By Feature". On the video, the teacher never goes and changes the Z MIN and I want to be able to not have to do this as sometimes I have a lot of holes to process and really I do not want to have to go hole by hole changing the Z MIN. I know you should be able to select all the job items and change them all at once, but what if all the holes are different? I want the IGES input to specify the actual travel. I wouyld expect a CAM SW to be able to extract this information! Or am I tripping?

I am attaching my part so that you can tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks for any insight on this matter!
    Attached Files Attached Files

The problem is that the drill diameter is larger than the hole diameter. SprutCAM only drills as deep as it can without gouging the model.

If you tell SprutCAM that your 1/2 inch drill has a diameter of 0.47 inches it should work.

Yup, that was precissely it! Thank you very much for your quick assistance.