584,865 active members*
4,884 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thumbs up HASS TL3B bull****

All my attempts to make a internal thread 4'' 1/2 IF on a lathe HAAS TL3B failed.
    We used the latest tools Sandvik (inserts and antivibration bar), but in vain.
    Any regime would try cutting, vibrations occur after 4-5 passes.
    With the same tools and cutting regime achieved routinely or API IF thread Regular type without issues, what makes me think it is a problem with the lathe.
    The same can be said about the device Dorian is a joke for heavy machining ..
    Has anyone seen such a problem?

I would agree that Dorian tool posts are junk.

Just don't forget to try to fit the largest bar possible. Can you get a holder for a 2.0" threading bar? I believe there is no such thing as over kill.

Sure, I used a 60 mm bar, but without results.
    Recently, I tried the same type of thread, but outside, at a distance of 700 mm from the main spindle, the material being supported by steady rest and of course that the vibrations are at home.
    Haas Sorry, but the type lathes and TL 4 TL 3B far give no yield at which they would expect someone to read the manufacturer's specifications.
    The same can be said about the SL40 and VF8.
    Used very good in my opinion are ST20BB, ST20, SL30BB, VF5-XT/50 and VF4.
    I say this with some skill, above all we used for various products and know their capabilities.
    Regards.

Are you using an infeed angle when threading?

Of course, including G32 and G92 variants cycles.

You problem is my problem since 5 years ago. Look...
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas_m...ns_tl-3_a.html

you have adequate thread depth per pass? try increasing minimum thread depth per pass and/or sfm.

I solved the problem. At least for internal threading. We built a device attached to a solid we Sandvik 60mm bar and can tap easily.
    Those from Brussels Haas sent me a block of metal .. they said to mount the stupidity of Dorian. Of course it did not work ...
    I have pictures and what resulted.

Regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PIC041.jpg   Capture1.JPG   PIC066.jpg  

Good job WEAR, and what about external thread? and what about tool change?
    Thanks,

This is only a temporary solution, because those at the Haas :argue: tried to show me all the tools used are not suitable or cutting procedure is incorrect, in no case will recognize that the solution is not right with Dorian.
    For machining that is true OD / ID I ordered an electrical device controlled type turret with four posts in nc. It will arrive in late July of ... China.
    You add photos to the results.
    Regards.

I've had a similar problem in other lathes with the "lay-down" style threading holders. Just to check I switch to a top notch style which I believe has less engagement and different top edge geometry and the problem went away.

I use mostly lay-down stuff because it is a more robust threading style bar but have the topnotch for wonky problems such as this.

And I have had these same problems in a bunch of different lathes. mori, okuma, haas, dawaoou? and a really cheap chinees one I can't remeber the name too.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

For those interested: good results at the inner threading thread type IF, API REG I got the tool in the image (SECO)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PIC004.jpg  

As promised, back with photos of how we deal with the vibrations that occur in threading.
    So I bought one Replace Dorian from a company in China. It is much stronger and much more. You can use all four channels broadcast tools and indexing is controlled by a separate button. For the CNC control board relays must purchase from HAAS.
    I repeated with the same internal and external threading regimes which we have used the device Dorian and the result was excellent.:banana:
    Conclusion: Dorian is a joke and Haas should give up jokes on clients' money.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0895.JPG   DSCF0897.JPG   DSCF0901.JPG   DSCF0908.JPG  

DSCF0894.JPG   DSCF0904.JPG