585,991 active members*
5,829 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MRF 3 axis milling machine

Hi Guys

As my background is of an automation nature my mechanical engineering is a bit rusty and I need help with a very interesting project.

I'm designing a MRF (Magneto rheological fluid) end mill to do finishing on glass. My basic concept is based on a standard 3 axis end mill with a table that does the X and Y-axis movement and column with the spindle and tool end.

As the tooltip will never have real contact with the workpiece I don't need a design to compensate for the large radial and axial forces acting on the tooltip in standard end-mill designs.

My trouble starts with the spindle and spindle housing design. I need some tips on how to approach this. I thought of basing the design on a through cool system as I need to get the MR fluid to the tooltip.

Also I need a bit of direction on the rail or drive system that will move the spindle up and down in Z. I have had a look at some standard linear rails and runner blocks from Rexroth together with a ball screw system. I also need a few tips on how to approach the drive of the spindle (either V-belt or gear system).

As this is a basic concept system that might later be scaled up if it works I need to keep the design simple and especially cheap.

Any comments and tips will be much appreciated.

Thanks

I also am trying to make a 3 axis milling machine , I think the best system is a linear and 'wheele'gear (pignon crimaillère)
    anyway if I make any progress I'll let u know