585,589 active members*
3,529 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Fanuc 15MA software? problem

Hi all, this is my first post. It is primarily aimed at memoryman whose excellent advice I followed from a thread dating back to Nov 2009. I have a Kuraki HMC twin pallet with a Fanuc 15 MA, with the 9" crt. The batteries went flat but I have loaded all the options, timers etc and all the parameters. The machine is running fine, EXCEPT the screen has certain areas that depending on the screen selected, certain information is missing. For example none of the soft key labels (program, position etc) are displayed unless that soft key is pressed. The control will then go to the screen selected but it makes selecting it, a hit and miss affair. Also when data is to be written, as you type nothing shows at the bottom, you then press enter followed by the LH soft key (Exec) and the line then shows at the top in front of the % sign. When in the setting screen, the column TV check, punch code, input unit etc is not there but the actual switches (0=OFF 1=ON) are there! Also none of the parameter descriptions are displayed.
    Also I am unable to access the PUNCH and READ softkeys, which makes loading programs very time consuming! Has anyone had a problem like this? Could it be a corrupt bubble memory? It has our local Fanuc agent in Johannesburg stumped. They say we must live with it!!!!!!!!!

It almost sounds like a CRT display problem, vert sync or vert adjustment?
    Out of interest do you have a parameter listing and what is 9105 set to?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I have a 15MA and will look at my #9105 tonight. Mine is the 14" color CRT/MDI. By the way, What is Param. #9105?

I do have a 9" CRT/MDI for the 15M, it's a gray sticker model.. not a Yellow sticker one. It may see some service some day.. but no build plans are for it yet. Gotta get my 16M running.

Hi Al, It is not a crt problem as it is not that the screen is not working on certain areas, its just that depending on the screen, certain info is not being diplayed. It is interesting you should ask about option 9105 as this has been changed by a previous owner on my hard copy of the paramaters from hexadecimal 4 to 100. I have tried entering both - a very time consuming activity! but the screen problem remains.... Is there a setting for 14" and 9" screens? maybe this control is set for a 14"? Is this in the options? Of course, fanuc will not divilge the option settings.
    Regards Mark

Quote Originally Posted by manab View Post
    maybe this control is set for a 14"? Is this in the options? Of course, fanuc will not divilge the option settings.
    Regards Mark
    Not without paying a good $ first.
    P.M. has been sent.
    Al.

Albert E.

Hi Al, It is not a crt problem as it is not that the screen is not working on certain areas, its just that depending on the screen, certain info is not being diplayed. It is interesting you should ask about option 9105 as this has been changed by a previous owner on my hard copy of the paramaters from hexadecimal 4 to 100. I have tried entering both - a very time consuming activity! but the screen problem remains.... Is there a setting for 14" and 9" screens? maybe this control is set for a 14"? Is this in the options? Of course, fanuc will not divilge the option settings.
    Regards Mark
    Hi Mark

Enter IPL mode then chose 5 controller will ask "Display type ? " enter 0 (zero) then press input. Turn off controller, then turn it on.

Good luck

To greenery fr, thank you for that info, i will try it first thing tomorrow - I did see that in the IPL but I didn't know what to enter.

To Al the Man, sorry to be dumb (I'm new to CNCZONE) what is P.M. and where has it been sent to????

Regards Mark

To greenery fr, thank you for that info, i will try it first thing tomorrow - I did see that in the IPL but I didn't know what to enter.

To Al the Man, sorry to be dumb (I'm new to CNCZONE) what is P.M. and where has it been sent to????

Regards Mark
    IPL mode ,you have to press and hold (-) and (.). then power on machine, your machine will enter IPL mode. Did you enter option parameter for your machine. As I know with Fanuc 15 need password for enter option parameter

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, yes I do have the passwords etc, I meant I wasn't sure what to enter in '5 display type'.

I will try it first thing in the morning.

Regards, Mark

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, yes I do have the passwords etc, I meant I wasn't sure what to enter in '5 display type'.

I will try it first thing in the morning.

Regards, Mark
    IPL MODE
    5 Setting
    6 Exit IPL Mode
    ?

enter 5 then input controller will ask "Display type ?"

ok, I went to IPL, chose 5, entered 0, then selected 6 to exit IPL. A number of alarms instantly came up and I found that all parameters and options had been deleted. I turned off the control and turned it back on whilst depressing 7 + 9, and I now find I cannot even enter IPL mode. All I get is the line F15M9A A001J at the top. I have noticed that if I boot up normally, although most of the screens are blank (because tha control doesn't know how many axes etc there are) I do get the TV CHECK column, and the far right soft key now has the label CHAPTER which it didn't before, so the 'display type' option did have some effect. Incidentally, my control asks 'CRT type' not 'display type'.

Can anyone please tell me why I cannot now enter IPL? I have tried 7 + 9 and - + .

Mark

ok, I went to IPL, chose 5, entered 0, then selected 6 to exit IPL. A number of alarms instantly came up and I found that all parameters and options had been deleted. I turned off the control and turned it back on whilst depressing 7 + 9, and I now find I cannot even enter IPL mode. All I get is the line F15M9A A001J at the top. I have noticed that if I boot up normally, although most of the screens are blank (because tha control doesn't know how many axes etc there are) I do get the TV CHECK column, and the far right soft key now has the label CHAPTER which it didn't before, so the 'display type' option did have some effect. Incidentally, my control asks 'CRT type' not 'display type'.

Can anyone please tell me why I cannot now enter IPL? I have tried 7 + 9 and - + .

Mark
    I have done a bit of investigation and discovered that I was actually in the IPL screen all along, it was just that the screen setting (menu no. 5, input 0 as per greenery fr's advice) changed the screen so I could not see it! I have managed to change it back and now have the IPL displayed. I think maybe the problem does lie in the display setting but it is obviously not 0. Does any one know what that setting is for a 9" monochrome screen?

Mark

The SETTING choices are the following:

0: monochrome CRT (default)
    1: color CRT
    2: monochrome High Resolution CRT
    3: color high Resolution CRT

The information I had says that 1 through 3 are "unusable - for future use", so I don't think it will help much.

I've seen your reported problem multiple times. Each time it was a Series 15-A with a 9" monochrome CRT and each time it was corrected by replacement of the Base 0 board. The 9" mono CRT uses the video driver circuit on that board while the 9" Color CRT and the 14" Color CRT use the Graphic board for the video signal. There is a single EPROM chip on the Base 0 that would have to be moved over if the replacement board has an empty socket.

Note: The video cable has 5 signals + ground conductors. HSync, VSync, and 3 video signals. In theory, I could see that the problem could occur if one of the 3 video signals has a broken connection, so you may want to ring out the video cable first.

I can't seem to find any screen setting in the Options or User parameters??
    It may be hardware dependent, either 9" mono or 14" colour.
    Oops I should have read the previous post closer!
    Al.

Albert E.

Thank you, that is very usefull. I will check the video cable first - could even be a bad connection in the plugs. Unfortunately, the powers that be want to move the machine to a new section so I will have to wait till it's up and running again. It was the move that prompted me to want to download the parameters for safety and that was when the problems showed up.....

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice

Mark

The 15a control does NOT need the IPL Setting for the disply type- that is for the 15b.
    If you can see anything on the screen that looks normal,don't worry about the video part.
    If you want to reenter the options, you can do it through the serial port:
    modify your parameters (including options) in the downloaded nc parameter file.
    set the SETTINGS SETTINGS parameter 8000 (where PWE is) to all ones.
    reload the modified nc parameter file.
    IMPORTANT: cycle the control power.
    this procedure will accept ALL parameters, even the 'locked' ones.

Most of you probaby know that the FANUC Series 15 Type M Model A has been a project of mine for the past 3-4 years at the least. It's basicaly finished. But along the way I had a number of problems with the configuration and installation.

Still wish that there were PDF copies of the manuals! Every time I have to do some research on it I have to look through the big books.. rather than search though a PDF.

It runs great though. I'd picked the 14" color CRT/MDI and the 13 Slot backplane rather than the others because it afforded me a lot of options in expansion. I built it from eBay parts.. the same way I have done the rest.

Very affordable as you can start with a 15 backplane for the A02B-0094-B502installation for not a whole lot of money. Then, If you look you can get all of the cards to fill it at around $100 or less for each one. The -B501 type is a little different as it requires less to fill it up. Some of the tough ones to get cheap were the stuff for the 150 control anConversational CPU board.

I have everything to build both the 15 and the 150 controls,but I decided I didn't need the MMC.

Having the graphics option is so nice though. I like seeing plotted toolpaths.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gbowne1 View Post
    Still wish that there were PDF copies of the manuals! Every time I have to do some research on it I have to look through the big books.. rather than search though a PDF.
    Greg
    Will 15B work?
    Al.

Albert E.

Yeah, I do need 15 Model B manuals. It would be a big help. I have a few but missing a bunch.

I do have the 15 Model A manuals in book form but scanning these would take some time. I was hoping someone had already done it.

Greg

these last three posts have nothing to do with the original.

Page 1 of 2 12