I recently came across an I&J Fisnar liquid dispensing robot in my local scrap yard. Initially I had no idea what it was originally intended for only that it looked like a cnc type machine. The dispensing head is gone but the rest of the machine is there. I am wondering if I can repurpose it to either take a 3d print head or maybe a laser or if it is sturdy enough maybe an engraver spindle. I have very little experience with cnc or 3d printing at all.

I would like to know if I can use it's current control board to do other work than fluid dispensing which it was designed for or if I will have to get a new board and then figure out how to connect the motors and such to the new board? It looks like a quality piece of kit and a shame to let it go to scrap. It cost over $5k when it was new and even if some of the motors are junk and the board either incompatible or broken the gantry, bed, and attachment for the head are worth it to replace the parts on it.

I doubt it is good enough to handle anything heavy like milling blocks of even aluminum as it wasn't intended to mill material but rather precisely squirt gaskets, and put down beads of adhesive to clamshells or squirt blobs of epoxy onto PCBs etc... So it would have to be relegated to light duty like a 3d printer or laser engraver type of work.

The company website for the robots obviously has nothing at all for what I want to do with their robot so I came here to see if anyone can help me. If it ends up being too much work to convert the thing then I might just salvage what I can or even try to sell it to someone that wants it for parts or to repair and use it as it was originally designed for.

Thanks for any help and please let me know if you need any info at all.