585,877 active members*
3,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4th Axis Install on M-Plus machine

I have a 1997 VTC-20B that I bought brand new. Unfortunately at the time I didnt have the extra cash to but the 4th axis (or probing) and have been kicking myself for it since. Has anyone added a 4th afterwards without going through Mazak parts department. As we all know they are brutal on their pricing.

Naturally you would need another digital drive similar to the ones used for x,y,z. After that it gets a little cloudy. is the cableing done like the other three axis's? Thn go in and switch onparameters? I assume that it would work fine in EIA, but will it show up in Mazatrol also? If it does show up in Mazatrol, is it a true 4th. Or is it purely an indexer in mazatrol as I suspect.

Id also like to ad probing, but have become so disheartened with the things ive read about adding it to this machine that I think it may be easier and more cost efficent to retrofit another machine with a Centroid control.

Scott

Scott,
    You're making me get into the 'wayback' machine here! We had an old AJV with a two pallet changer and an old M32 controller. Management wanted a real 4th axis on it that could be removed so we could still use two pallets and would throw the 4th on it when we needed it and go! We bought an aftermarket unit, mounted the same type motors and control. The vendor told us what size to buy to fit his unit. The servo manual listed the cable pinouts and everything. We just made them so we could plug them in when needed. They all have cannon connectors anyway. After it was all installed they called our service tech and it turned out that all we had to do was turn on one option parameter when we plugged up the axis for use. The parameter was OP1, I think, and you changed it from a 2 to a 3 or 3 to a 4. You changed it back when not using the 4th and unplugging it. Something to do with number of axes on the machine parameter. We had it set up where you would throw the table on within a certain area and the probe would find the chuck or table. Renishaw installed the probe for us. To make a long story short, Yes and it was a real 4th axis, the readout came up under Z axis on the display, and we only used Mazatrol. HTH Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Leelund View Post
    Scott,
    You're making me get into the 'wayback' machine here! We had an old AJV with a two pallet changer and an old M32 controller. Management wanted a real 4th axis on it that could be removed so we could still use two pallets and would throw the 4th on it when we needed it and go! We bought an aftermarket unit, mounted the same type motors and control. The vendor told us what size to buy to fit his unit. The servo manual listed the cable pinouts and everything. We just made them so we could plug them in when needed. They all have cannon connectors anyway. After it was all installed they called our service tech and it turned out that all we had to do was turn on one option parameter when we plugged up the axis for use. The parameter was OP1, I think, and you changed it from a 2 to a 3 or 3 to a 4. You changed it back when not using the 4th and unplugging it. Something to do with number of axes on the machine parameter. We had it set up where you would throw the table on within a certain area and the probe would find the chuck or table. Renishaw installed the probe for us. To make a long story short, Yes and it was a real 4th axis, the readout came up under Z axis on the display, and we only used Mazatrol. HTH Lee
    Hi
    It look you have AJV . I also Have AJV 35/60 With Mazatrol M32 with 4th axis.I have lost my machine parameter.Would you please send me machine parameter. I can Load these parameter manually. you can also take photo & send it to me.