585,969 active members*
4,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > How Do I draw this?

How Do I draw this?

I have not, as of yet, had this kind of issue, but. I need to make a 3d model of a tire, with the tread pattern modeled also. Revolving the basic shapes is a no brainer, but, how do I profile the tread pattern and then cut it into the revolved surface to show the tread pattern and its depth?

I did a a tire for a project a couple years ago, but I needed the overall shape and size of the tire so the thread pattern isn't exact. However, you can see how it was done in the attached zip.

Edit:
    Not sure why the .zip file won't attach (it's under 3 Mb), pm me your email if you would like me to send it to you.

Think of modeling the tread pattern and not "Cutting it away from the base tire revolve... So you would take just one complete tread pattern (Usually a tread is a repeating pattern) You can then extrude that single tread and array it around the entire tire, spaced appropriatly.

Thank you guys, I will try that and view your zip ASAP. Thanks again.

use the wrapping feature. first do the body then sketch the thread shape you want thed wrapp it.

I sent the zip file to the 2 email addresses (see screenshot).

If anything, this can be used as a base part and modify it as needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tire.jpg  

So here's a picture of the tread I described... Note that there are just 3 modeled pieces copied into a circular array.

Looking at Lurkers picture, the cuttaway may be needed as there is that type of tread pattern also... Suppose it's just what type of tire you are modeling, but essentially, it's just a repeating pattern around a revolve.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	potenza rubber.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	134055

Again I say Thanks. I made several sketches and was successful using both examples. Kudos guys

Hey guys, I need to add this to my last post. I was successful but, I brought my computer to it's knees. It froze. I guess I don't have enough of whatever it needs to complete all the tread patter with color.

Once you have the part modeled the way you like it, save it as a parasolid. Next open the part and do not use the feature recognition.

This dumb solid is less memory intensive and should allow you to color it or whatever you need to do to it.

Hi Speedre,
    Yes, very heavy models.... Usually, the only time you would actually model the tread, is for some type of closeup of a particular area... So no need for 4 tires or even the entire wheel! Kindof like modeling the threads of a screw... Usually what you would do is to do some kind of texture mapping for this type of detail in a rendering program... (Or have a monster computer)

There are also things like Lurker mentions that can help with heavy models.. There should be some type of display setting for how fine/coarse the viewport is producing the shaded display at.... Hiding stuff like edges can release significant load.

I've never heard of that what is it? What I needed to do was create the tread pattern so I could build a RTV silicone two part mold so I can cast my own tires in resin. The current crop supplied in kits is just awful. I will try that parasolid thingy asap.