585,914 active members*
3,839 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Searching Backwards

Searching Backwards

Any way to do this ?

jon

I don't think so. If I need to do a backward search in one of my long 3d programs I just go to my computer and do the search in my program editor ( I use the Predator editor bundled with Gibbs ) and go back to the controller. I assume you are aware that pressing the "T" key brings you to the top of the program, "B" brings you to the bottom, "BACKSPACE" & "ENTER" bring you back and forth one page at a time. On some of my long 3d programs however, I have found "T" & "B" only go so far and I have to press the keys again ?!?

Originally posted by cadman
    I don't think so. If I need to do a backward search in one of my long 3d programs I just go to my computer and do the search in my program editor ( I use the Predator editor bundled with Gibbs ) and go back to the controller. I assume you are aware that pressing the "T" key brings you to the top of the program, "B" brings you to the bottom, "BACKSPACE" & "ENTER" bring you back and forth one page at a time. On some of my long 3d programs however, I have found "T" & "B" only go so far and I have to press the keys again ?!?
    Pain in the rear isn't it ?

When your in auto mode with your program running do you also have to press the manual button numerous times to get to the point where you can enter the mode you want ? I often find I have to hit the manual button 3 or 4 times to do something like manually change to another tool or be able to enter a move to something like E1.

BTW, when you move to say E1 do you use a G90 for safety or is this unneeded ?

jon

What are you trying to do?

While in Auto mode, pressing M U will bring up list of options.

If in single block mode, pressing manual will exit program execution.

If in command prompt mode, pressing M U will bring up help screen list.

If in command prompt mode, pressing MANUAL should toggle between command mode and MDI mode.

When entered into MDI mode it displays current tool number and whether G90 or G91 is in affect (what ever the default is set as.)

Or I just didn't understand the question: Any way to do this ? (As to why one would want to search a program file from the bottom up? In PA (page mode) pressing B will take you to the bottom of the program. And pressing U will go up a line at a time. But the search feature can only go top to bottom.)
    Safety - Quality - Production.

(As to why one would want to search a program file from the bottom up? In PA (page mode) pressing B will take you to the bottom of the program. And pressing U will go up a line at a time. But the search feature can only go top to bottom.)
    I do this all the time on my HAAS. Especially when working with large files, it's easier to go to END (which is instant), then T5 CURSOR UP will take me to T5. If it's 30 lines from the bottom of a 65,000 line program, it's MUCH MUCH faster.

'Rekd teh Not Lazy; Effecient
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

HAAS verses FADAL

The HAAS control has features that the Fadal control does not and vice versa.

The Fadal control is more sparse than the Haas control panel. Some of the features are similar some are quite different.

Where I work we currently have 10 Fadal milling centers and one Haas Mill.

Over all I prefer the Fadal over the Haas.

But had I never ran or worked on a Fadal or a Haas mill, my first choice without knowing, would be the Haas. The Haas control panel has everything you expect on a CNC control.

The the large programs I have ran were on a Fadal using DNC feature. Now one of the Fadals we just got in has 4Mb memory. The Fadal mills which have about 1/4 Mb and 1/2 Mb will run any of the larger programs currently in use in the shop without using DNC.

Since Fadal programs REQUIRE block numbers (N words) searching and starting at a block is easy as AU,#starting block number# command.

One feature that the Haas control has over (better) than the Fadal, is in this: that the Haas will do if needed tool changes. The Fadal, you had better to have made sure the correct tool is in the spindle!!! or start at a tool change (M6.)

Originally posted by jonbanquer
    Pain in the rear isn't it ?

When your in auto mode with your program running do you also have to press the manual button numerous times to get to the point where you can enter the mode you want ? I often find I have to hit the manual button 3 or 4 times to do something like manually change to another tool or be able to enter a move to something like E1.

BTW, when you move to say E1 do you use a G90 for safety or is this unneeded ?

jon
    Yes, it can be a pain.
    I don't have to press any of the keys more than once so you may have dirt under your keys.

Yes. You should use G90 when moving to a new offset.

E1
    xx
    xx
    xx
    G90 Xxx.xxxx Yxx.xxxx E2

Fadal Keyboards

. . . . press any of the keys more than once so you may have dirt under your keys.

Fadal replacement keyboard is not cheap (about $325.00 each not counting labor.) I have replaced and have seen replaced, 3 keyboards over the years. They do go bad. But do not throw out the old keyboard. The plastic keys may come in handy. One machine came in missing the keyboard red feed hold key. I was told to order a replacement key. Then I remembered we have three of those things some were. I found the last one that was replaced. and replaced the missing key.

Yes, it can be a pain.
    I don't have to press any of the keys more than once so you may have dirt under your keys.

Yes. You should use G90 when moving to a new offset.

E1
    xx
    xx
    xx
    G90 Xxx.xxxx Yxx.xxxx E2
    We have 8 FADAL's and with all of them you must hit the
    manual button numerous times to get out of auto mode while
    the program is running and be able to do something like a
    tool change. When the first screen comes up where you
    can do a tool change you can't enter anything ! It won't
    take any input at all ! You have to return to that screen a
    *second time* before you can enter anything. It's a real
    PITA.

Do you feel I have to use a G90 if I'm just moving to a
    different X, Y position using just E1 ? If so, why do you feel this way ?

Thank you for your help so far.

jon

Originally posted by Rekd
    I do this all the time on my HAAS. Especially when working with large files, it's easier to go to END (which is instant), then T5 CURSOR UP will take me to T5. If it's 30 lines from the bottom of a 65,000 line program, it's MUCH MUCH faster.

'Rekd teh Not Lazy; Effecient

Agreed.

I really could use as much knowledgeable input on the FADAL control as possible. Because of this I have decided to shut up on which control I like better. :>) Even so, it doesn't matter because I feel it's my job to best adapt to the control that the shop I work for has. A good boss is much more important to me than the control. ;>)

jon

Exiting Auto mode.

Press Feed Hold or Single Block. Press Manual.

If you know your block number where you want to restart. If it is not at a tool chage. Make sure you place the correct tool station and load the correct tool first, if it is not already loaded.

If you know the N word block number, you can ether at the command line enter: AU,#block number#

Or in PA (page) mode do a search for "N#block number#"

Press the space bar until you see the G graphing option. Press Auto and select (2 or) 3. Selecting 3 will scan the program the same as the Auto AU command does. (Selecting 2 will start the program at the current block as is.) (Selecting 1 will start at the beginning of the program.) Then press Auto again.

Again, make sure the correct tool is in the spindle, if you are not starting at a tool change block.

If there are block numbers you know, and need to use, I recommend that you place a comment at the end of each of these blocks. For example: N2057X0.05Y0.857Z-0.1251(N2057)

So in the event that blocks are added above and the program is renumbered, you can still find the block. By searching for "(N2057): N2061X0.05Y0.857Z-0.1251(N2057)

Also you should do this if you use M99P2057 to jump to a block. This makes it easy to find the new block number to change the M99P2057 to M99P2061. Then of course update the comment:
    N2061X0.05Y0.857Z-0.1251(N2061)

Paul,

Please see my post under the thread "How Can You Determine..."
    for a detailed explanation of what I mean when I say that I have to push the manual button numerous times to do what I want to do.

Thanks,

jon