585,997 active members*
4,844 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle for DIY mill

What are some good spindles/motors for a DIY milling machine?

You'll have to give us more info. Do you mean milling spindle vs. router spindle, how much torque, what kind of speed do you REALLY expect to use, what electric power is available etc.? What does the working end of the spindle look like, CAT 30, R8 or ??? How will you hold the tool in the spindle?

Then there is the budget !!!!!!! Precision spindle bearings are pricey, lesser precision=lesser cost. Washing machine motors cost a lot less than hollow shaft AC servo motors & drives.

Lotsa stuff. LOL

Dick Z
    DZASTR

wow, I hadn't considered all the variables. it would need to be a milling spindle. I'm not looking for a lot of precision, but i would like to control dimensions within a +/- 0.005" range. This build will be used primarily for wood milling, but I would like to ability to machine aluminum as well. I wouldn't want to use more power than i can get out of a standard wall socket. in terms of budget, the lower the better. I know i've been to websights for milling motors that were within my price range but for some reason i can't seem to find them now.

scott carpenter

Scott, you will need to be more specific. Take speed for example. I'm sure a single speed will not satisfy the requirements for all you cutter sizes or materials or the different material you intend to cut.

Consequently, you must vary the speed over you lowest to highest speed. What is that range? Will you have step pulleys? variable speed pulley drive? variable speed motor?

What spindle run-out will you require? .005" TIR on a spindle is not acceptable, but do you require .000040"? I doubt that also. The spindle bearings and spindle shaft will determine the run-out for the most part.

If a 2 flute tool runs out .002"TIR and the feed per tooth is .001", one flute can take .002", double the intended feed per tooth. The other flute will not cut anything.

I'd recommend your spindle to have less than .0005". This can be accomplished with reasonably priced bearings.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

It almost sounds like you want a router rather than a mill?
    If it will do the job on the material you are thinking of, the PID controller for router control is one option,
    The posts are over 1k now but it may give you an idea.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn..._speed-88.html
    The other option is a high rpm 3 phase router motor, but the cost soars.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Dick Z,

Thanks for the input. Obviously i will need to use different cutting tools so multiple speeds is necessary. In your opinion, what is a good speed range for a motor that allows me to cut a wide variety of wood and soft metals? Also, are there any good web sights where I can start getting a feel for the price range of spindles/

Al_The_Man
    I'm pretty sure I want a mill. I've never operated a CNC router and I have a little experience operating both CNC and manual mills. I would like to be able to cut some custom brackets and fixtures that I couldn't make on a mill. I would like to eventually add a fourth rotational axis to. Why is it you think I would be better with a router than a mill?

Scott

Typo

Al_The_Man

I just realized i made a critical typo in my last response to you. I stated that "I would like to be able to cut some custom brackets and fixtures that I couldn't make on a mill" but it should read "I would like to be able to cut some custom brackets and fixtures that I couldn't make on a ROUTER." My bad.

Scott

Scott, speed depends on material being milled and cutter material and diameter.

Dick Z
    DZASTR