585,894 active members*
4,200 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser cutting machine for paper

Hi there - my name is Sarah-Megan and I'm looking for a machine to laser cut paper and cardboard. the cutting will be really filigree and it is important to not have burnt or colored edges. Anybody does some kind of work already and has a good machine he/she can recommend?

The paper and cutting section should at least have an area of 300x420mm.

I'm very thankfull for any help on this subject!

Thank you, Sarah-Megan

You can get excellent results cutting paper and card (providing it is not corrugated) using a CO2 laser.

The best results are obtained using higher power and faster speeds, but for paper even >25W RF would be OK (35W glass tube).

Zax.

how much would a DIY set up like that cost? I would like to cut patterns in kevlar and was thinking of using laser. I already have a DIY router and would like to add a laser attatchment to it.

I don't recommend adding a CO2 laser with flying optics ($600) to a CNC unless you are going to build an enclosure around the entire machine with suitable safety interlocks. If your CNC is a fixed gantry you could install a cheap glass tube laser instead of the router, but if it is the more conventional moving gantry setup I would only recommend using an RF-excited laser (>$5k).

In general a CNC machine doesn't have adequate speed for laser engraving (scanning) but may be suitable for cutting.

If you want the lowest cost solution I would suggest purchasing a smaller 40W Chinese hobby engraver ($1k).

I haven't tried cutting Kevlar but would expect some melting and fumes but reasonable results.

Zax.

Thanx for the input Zax

Hi Sarah Megan:
    You can choose a small laser, working area 500*300mm or 400*400mm,laser power is 40w. It is cheap and economical! the first one is a laser machine with 6515 card faster speed,USB port etc. The second one is a stamp making machine,it use moshi software and have low speed. But price is cheap!
    You can send email to me and know more details!
    Alice
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah-Megan View Post
    Hi there - my name is Sarah-Megan and I'm looking for a machine to laser cut paper and cardboard. the cutting will be really filigree and it is important to not have burnt or colored edges. Anybody does some kind of work already and has a good machine he/she can recommend?

Thank you, Sarah-Megan
    Hi,Sarah-Megan ,

How are you?This is Doris from JCUT Company in China.

For cutting paper and cardboard,the co2 laser cutting machine is the best choice.It is impossible not to burn the edge with laser machine cut.But i have a way to help you to resolve the question.

Besides,as per the size of the paper and cardboard,i recommend our JCUT-4040 with 400*400mm and JCUT-3050 with 300*500mm to you.

Any question,please feel free to contact with me.My email/msn is [email protected] ,skype is lasercncmachine ,yahoo is [email protected] ,gmail is [email protected] .

Hoping your reply.

Best regards

Sincerely,

Doris

Smile would love some more info on cutting paper

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah-Megan View Post

Thank you, Sarah-Megan
    Great Topic, Sarah-Megan

We are a stationery company looking to get into laser cut goods - went ahead and bought a MornTech3050D with the specific intention of cutting paper and cardstock. Tonight will be the first test - we will keep you updated as to our success/failures - please do the same.

Good Luck!
    Michael - hi note
    hi note

laser cutting for paper

Hi Sarah-Megan,
    if you are a frequent visitor on cnczone,you will know wk laser is very popular with customers all over the world. we are also the biggest laser company in jinan.Regards your requirement,the small laser is your ideal choice ,like our LG5030(500mm*300mm working size) power 60watt.because all chinese lasers working size is measured from the edge to edge,but the honeycomb table has aliuminium edge biding about 10-20mm,so if their working size is 400mm*400mm then it means the size is about 380*380.so their 400mm*400mm is small for you.
    if you have any other requires,pls feel free to email me to [email protected]
    we will serve totally

Wow, lotta people here trying to sell their laser

Sarah - I bought a co2 laser specifically to cut cardstock. I've cut well over 500 sheets with it so far and would be more than happy to answer any questions you have. I've tried every trick in the book to get clean, fast cuts and consider msyelf, at this point, to be a small expert on the subject. Post a reply or send me a PM and I'd be happy to help.

I use a Fullspectrum Engineering 40watt hobby laser for my cutting. While the laser itself a pretty solid product and I'd recommend it, the company, well, they havent impressed me with customer service or integrity. See my review in the FSE subforum for all the details.

CUTCNC Guest
    Do you need make box or other 3D patterns. If you need the folding line. I think you need creasing wheel. There are many professional CNC paper cutting machine, can make cutting, half cutting, and creasing at the sample time. Make box samples or do small productions. Such as Zund, CUTCNC, Esko, Aoke, etc famous brand.

EXLAS 80W laser cut namecard pictures

Hi Sir
    You can get excellent results cutting namecard using a CO2 laser.

Obtained using power 80% and 20% faster speeds, pls see some sample picture our exlas laser made.
    Rgds
    vicky
    CNC Router Laser Cutting Machine CNC Engraving Machine-XYZ Machinery LLC
    [email protected]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_2428.jpg   DSC_2437.jpg   dsp_usb_port_EXLASLASER.jpg