584,849 active members*
4,055 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

spindle rebuild need some help with parts

Hello All.
    I had a nice weekend getting my IH mill tramed back in and working. Now it is time to rebuild the spindle. I have read through 24 pages of threads and I dont know how many post. Looking for bearing and seal part numbers. For bearing I have found 7206e and 7208D, mcmaster 6677K59 and 6677K62, and a few others. I could not find any part numbers for the lower seal.
    Any help would be great.

Thank You
    Rob

I didn't see any lower seal when I just had mine apart. Just a screw in plate to keep the big hunks out. There is an upper seal inside the gearbox though. I recall reading some time back that someone installed a shop made seal between the bearing and plate. I didn't.

Bob

There is no seal for the lower end of the spindle. When I re-packed my spindle bearings, I added an O-ring that fits tightly around the spindle. set the 0-ring low so when you reinstall the lower cap, It'll be pushed into place when the cap is tightened. This little fix helps the grease by keeping it by the lower bearing instead of flying out grease from the gap between the cap and lower spindle.

Aloha, LT

i have not had it apart yet. The seal is in the gear box where the spindle shaft goes through the drive gear. Has any one ever replaced that and have a part number for it? Or is that one of those things where you have to take it out and measure it, because it may be different on each machine? as far as the replcement spindle bearings go, will the cheap ones from McMaster do it or is there a better option. I wish i had saved my paper work form Aaron, he had a listing of the good replcement bearings.

Thanks Guys

As for the seal, reuse it if it is not damaged. It don't do much anyway.
    I have bearing numbers off of timken boxes for stock bearings and off of koyo boxes for angular contact bearings.
    timken 30207M 9\KM1 (lower)
    timken 30206M 9\KM1 (upper)
    koyo 7207BGC3 (lower angular contact)
    koyo 7206BGC3 (upper angular contact)
    The only real advantage of the AC bearings would be if you intend to run the spindle rpm over 6,000 rpm. Otherwise it is best to stay with the stock bearings.
    I run AC's in my spindle for 6120rpm with the bottom in oil bath. I fitted seal to bottom and plugged the tang slot of quil with aluminum plug and some JB weld.
    Even the stock bearings are rated to 6000rpm range with proper grease, use of wrong grease will allow it to melt out of bearing and leave it dry, or, it can be vaporized under load and leave behind a dry paste which gets displaced to side and bearings run dry. This is why the quil \ spindle should be on a yearly maintenance schedule. I can re grease and oil my spindle in about an hour, leaving little excuse for not doing it regular. My first set of bearings smoked and spun within the first few months of use. That is when I found that they were contaminated with iron fine and that there was very little grease residue left behind implying insufficient grease. There is lots of room in there so pack the bearings fully and ridge them on outside with some more grease.
    I forgot to mention that a cheap grease seal for the bottom of the quil\spindle is made from the tongue of an old boot. Use the threaded retainer as pattern and cut the leather slightly larger for od and slightly smaller for id and put it in with the threaded retainer. This will keep the grease from running out when it melts and it will last for several years at least.
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner