585,737 active members*
4,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Firmware question

Tero

I am still getting following errors on the x and a axis. So I did as you suggested, I wired the X and A motors to 1 drive, So I can monitor both drives at the same time.

I have everything wired up, but I am unsure which firmware to use. I found three different versions on your website. Are there any differences in the physical wiring when I use different firmdwares?

On the VSDPI which jumper do I need to set so that X and A are slaved, and y and z are regular single mode?

Thanks

Steve

For singleaxis FW, use Singleaxis-V208 and for DualDC use DualDC-V2004 or later. The motor wiring is different between the FW's.

In VSDEPI the DualDC channels are in pairs of XY and ZA where DualDC drive is connected to X or Z port. So if you set X & Y as individual (sinleaxis FW) axis, then should put DualDC on Z with VSDEPI jumpers inserted. For slave axis, just configure Mach to output identical step signals to both axis.

Tero-

I was able to flash the drive, and I am in the process of tuning the motors.

I need to buy some small jumpers for the VSDEPI board. So I can not test that.

There is a setting in DC Tool that says "axis 2 is slave to axis 1" -- What is the purpose of this? Does it just change the rotation of the axis 2 ?

Thanks

Steve

Tero-

One last item

I am using the Keling 1125 ozin motors, and I am not sure what to use for the inductance and the resistance.

Is there a generic setting I can use, or do I need to measure each motor?

Steve

"axis 2 is slave to axis 1" means that axis 2 is also commanded by axis 1 step/dir pulses thus no second axis pulses are needed. So if you want DualDC drive to consume only one VSDEPI channel and have parallel running motors, then this setting is useful for you.

For inductance/resistance values you should refer to motor data sheet. If unsure, try 4mH and 1ohm (just a guess).

Tero-

I am having some problems, and need some help.

I have both X and A servos connected to the DC servo driver. I can use the DCtools program to tune both drives, so I am assuming that this means they are wired correctly.

I have the cable running from the VSDEPI card X going to the DC servo. There is nothing plugged into the VSDEPI Y connecter, and the Z and A VSDEPI connectors are coing to their drives. I installed two jumpers on the VSDEPI card that is located between the X and Y connectors.

I have motion in the Y and the Z axis

I also have motion on one of the X axis, but the second one does not move. I have tried slaving in the DCtool program, and also in Mach but the second servo does not turn.

I am also getting a Flashing BLUE led on the DC serco drive. The only way I can get the led to stay solid is to connect the drive to the laptop, then without powering down the drive switch the USB connector with the connector from the VSDEPI. When I do this, the one servo will move using commands from Mach, but the other will not move.

After about 15-30 seconds the DC drive will fault out with all LEDs flashing (I think this is a communication error)

What should I try next?

Steve

Tero-

I found in the dc manual that I need to connect pin 14 to 16 to enable the drive.

When I do that, will it change the enable status of my other drives?

Any suggestions on how to get the second x axis operational

Steve

Tero-

I connected the pin 14 and 16 together, and the drive work for a few minutes. Then it faulted, all three LEDs were flashing.

After the fault, the Blue solid ready light would only flash blue.

I have still not be able to get the second X axis to move. I changed the motor output pin loations several times, I also tried to slave to x, slave to y, and use the same pin numbers for both of the axis for the DC drive.

Can you help?

Steve

Hi Steve,

The three leds flashing indeed is communication error. The reason looks clear, your drive enters in SPI communication mode and not dual step/dir mode. In SPI mode only one axis follows step/dir and other inputs expects SPI serial data (and while you're in SPI mode and change "direction 2" pin about 32 times, drive enters in comm error state).

Drive looks step2 input status on power-up to decide whether it goes to SPI or step/dir mode. Step2 must be held logic 0 on power-up to go in step/dir mode. The fix: invert step pulse polarity from your software to make it step output 0 when standing still.

Blue flashing means disabled status, so there's just wrong digital status on CMD connector enable/disable input. To fix it, just make sure software outputs correct status to the enable pin (also check chargepump settings or disable VSDEPI chargepump feature by jumper).

Let me know if this helps.