585,597 active members*
3,545 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread Milling

How do I go about creating a thread mill in X5? Ive never done thread milling in a cam software.

Go to Toolpath>Circular Toolpath>Thread Mill... You can use a point to locate the threads and define the thread diameter in the settings windows or you can use a circle to locate the threads and the diameter of the circle will define the threads - meaning it should be the major diameter of your thread if it's an ID thread or minor if OD. You'll need to set the thread pitch, depth of threads, # of teeth on the threadmill (so Mcam can know whether one loop will complete it or it needs to do multiple loops), and so on.

I like to use two passes and wear comp. I find that it doesn't take much to convince me to thread mill over tapping larger holes now days, it's so much easier to control.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Go to Toolpath>Circular Toolpath>Thread Mill... You can use a point to locate the threads and define the thread diameter in the settings windows or you can use a circle to locate the threads and the diameter of the circle will define the threads - meaning it should be the major diameter of your thread if it's an ID thread or minor if OD. You'll need to set the thread pitch, depth of threads, # of teeth on the threadmill (so Mcam can know whether one loop will complete it or it needs to do multiple loops), and so on.

I like to use two passes and wear comp. I find that it doesn't take much to convince me to thread mill over tapping larger holes now days, it's so much easier to control.
    Thanks. I mainly need to know how to create the tool itself though. I don't see one listed

Ok, use a seperate level and draw half the profile of the tool on the X+ Y+ quadrant, going up Y+. Then use define custom tool and check to use a level and pick your level you drew your tool on.

You can also copy one of the existing tool files and rename it for your threadmill and use it as a basis to start from (there is some more info in the help files) to create a tool file that you can save. This is what I've done for the 10 or so different threadmills I use.

Also you can also just use for example a 1/2 EM if you hop is that size for example.
    But if you draw the tool with the active teeth you will see the threads in Verify.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .