585,758 active members*
4,572 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > Casting a mold from wooden items.

Casting a mold from wooden items.

Hi there, currently me and my room mate have decided that we want to embark on a RC / Autonomous flying drone project. We could buy all the items from certain shops and use that as our base for the chopper but we also like to learn and try to create our own chassis made of carbon fiber or glassfiber. The easiest way for us to create the raw parts for the model is using wood as a template. Naturally wood is porous and I guess will pose some problems.

My question is: Is it possible to create a mold from a wooden object that can be used later to make fiberglas parts or carbon fiber parts?

If yes, how should I pre-treat the wooden structure that will become the template for the mold, basically how do I saturate the natural tendency of wood absorbing liquid? Maybe certain types of wood will be more suited to act as the template like MDF?

Also now that I asked this what would you reckon to be better to use in the first place? Glassfiber parts or carbonfiber parts. It's a small chopper and being light but also reasonably stiff and strong is a pre. So far glassfiber shows to be the best option money wise and weight wise sacrificing some strength but is that realy so?

Tanks in advance.

I have made parts from a wood mold. You have to make sure that you seal the wood well and use a good mold wax and a release. If you don't get it sealed well the resin soaks in before it harden and then they will not come apart.

Gary

Ok, i'll give it a try then

hi the wood needs to be paited up to a good finish , so lots a sandindig and painting to seel the timber , and a good coating of wax , foam is also not to bad to make the plug out off but its hard to seel , for a good finish ,, bart