Thinking about buying Bob Cad

It is a fairly good software?
    Is it pretty easy to learn?
    what are your thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Gmaan View Post
    It is a fairly good software?
    Is it pretty easy to learn?
    what are your thought?
    I just recently bought BobCAD v24 maybe a month or so ago. Prior to that I was using PyCAM and HeeksCAD. It's heads and tails above both of those, but I do have a special place on my hard drive for PyCAM.

For me, it is fairly good because after watching as many videos as I could get my hands on and going through all of the tutorials and lessons and webinars I could find, I've been able to get fairly decent results and produce parts quickly.

Now that doesn't mean there aren't some convoluted/non-obvious techniques that need to be used in order to get things done. To me there is a bizarre command acknowledgement and/or sequential selection and acknowledgement process that is often required. The best way for me to map this into my brain is to think like a programmer...and to think of the data entry window as numerical parameter passing...and the CAD selection/acknowledgement process as passing object contexts to that function. When you have all of the numerical and object parameters fully populated BobCAD does something. However, sometimes it seems like I pass the parameters first and click "ok" and sometimes it feels like I make the selection and then click "ok".

Overall, I felt it was easy to learn. I'm still learning it, however. It did become easy to figure out what to try...once I saw enough of how it all worked. If I didn't see it first it would be very very frustrating.

I like the CAM part. It's very fast. After experimenting with parts on my machine, I'm now getting what the parameters do for the CAM strategies. I just did my own post processor adjustment the other day.

My thoughts are that it has the makings of a multi-thousand dollar program...but not yet. It is worth a few hundred. I'm having the video problem where the verify tool part has artifacts and none of the remedies have worked for me yet. It's not that big of a deal...but it's annoying.

Some people don't seem to like the sales calls once you inquire. They are persistent. I worked with a guy named Kevin Hughes. The pitch does come off as if it's from a script....but overall he wanted to make sure I understood the program and figure out if there was a way he could get me into BobCAD. Really, that's all that matters. Yes or no. I think if you treat them with respect, don't dodge the calls, and get to the brass tacks you'll find it's not that difficult and my experiences with Kevin have always been pleasant.

In short, I'd recommend getting it. I understand from other people that there is better out there...but this is good enough and in some ways great enough for me. It does everything I want it to.

Thanks for the information. I am not actualy buying it but a friend of mine is. I am a Mastercam User, I recomended it to him but the cost was way out of his budget. He found this and wanted me to get information for him. When I compare cad/cam packages, I use Master cam as a standard, so I am very biased on my decision making. I will pass this information along to him.......

Any more info any one?

I have V23 and OneCNC which is light years above Bobcad, but it is more expensive also. If your not in business,time is not a factor, patient, and the cost it really important it might be a good option. But as Machiningbob said, it was definitely not designed by machinist but rather software types. Support is not very good as it costs maintenance fees and you have to call and be placed in a que until they can get back to you. Could be relatively soon, might be two days. As you will read from the forums, there are bugs with there software, some they can't explain threfore you'll have to wait for updates or upgrade with new versions. It seems inexpensive until you continue to pay maintenance fees ever year and upgrades and addons(preditor editor,bobart,etc). Then down the road you realize you could have gotten into much better CNC software. For you Gmann, coming from a high quality software would pull your hair from your skull, but your friend might not mind. Take a look at Onecnc. Not that more, but written for machinists and free tech support, and extremely stable software.

I've had a good experience with BobCad. I guess it comes down to the user.. Some cant get it and some do.. I would say download the demo and see if you get it... Also, be sure to look at it's capabilities... ie; "does it run a 5th axis machine???" If you need capabilities that it doesnt have, then you need to look for other software (did that really need to be said?)

I never had to pay for support, extra cd video's, training etc.. etc... I just spent a bit of time in the forum, asked a few questions and watched how others used it, and became proficient...

I would say it is the best software for the price out there. (it's capabilities cover all my needs at the moment)

Reasons I would need another software?:

Full 4th/5th axis support.
    Specialized tooling and toolpath stategies that arent currently provided.
    (Insert your need that isnt in BobCad here)

I second MachineBob's comments.

Just bought V24 and I am newbie to CAD/CAM.

I taught myslef to use MasterCam X4 and could not afford it. BobCAD has bugs, input techniques that are not intuitive, BUT is inexpensive.

Skin option is a PITA, but once understood, becomes second nature, but you need to ensure that everything touches and you can break up the lines to get it to work (happy to explain further, as I needed to get help from BobCAD, but they got back to my emails overnight both times.

I am now trying to get lines in the Z direction. MasterCAM uses build views and BobCAD seems to use an input function to place the line or a point in the Z direction. You can then use the end of the line or use the point in any view.

I say 'seems' as I am still experimenting and awaiting the training DVDs to show me the best or correct apporach.

In summary, I could afford BobCAD and it looks like it will be good for me in doing guitar profiles etc.

Garry

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegazza View Post
    I am now trying to get lines in the Z direction. Garry
    Hi Garry,
    You can switch the active UCS to draw in the Z direction.. So switching to a front or side view UCS will allow you to draw in the Z...

You will need pick points to draw in 3d... You can set custom UCS's to work in specific areas....

Without pick points, bobcads drawing tools work off of a 2d plane, which is the active UCS..

Here's a video that shows some UCS setting for drawing in specific areas..

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCF9bGu0muI"]YouTube - ‪cylinder wall construction ucs‬‏[/nomedia]

Burr

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Hi Garry,
    You can switch the active UCS to draw in the Z direction.. So switching to a front or side view UCS will allow you to draw in the Z...

You will need pick points to draw in 3d... You can set custom UCS's to work in specific areas....

Without pick points, bobcads drawing tools work off of a 2d plane, which is the active UCS..

Here's a video that shows some UCS setting for drawing in specific areas..

YouTube - ‪cylinder wall construction ucs‬‏

Burr
    So it is pretty easy to use, but UCS is a tab that I now know is there and can use. Very happy that is is similar to MasterCAM in this aspect.

Thanks for your help Burrman. Garry.

Yes Garry, it is actually the same as all those other MCAD programs, where you have to set a "sketch Plane" to do your work..

Good luck.

hello

how much is this program??

Which one are you referring too?

Quote Originally Posted by mtlhe View Post
    Which one are you referring too?
    ok I'm doing some research I'm about to buy a haas minimill But I dont have much experience on cnc . I'm into sheetmetal stuff I know how to program lasers,,turrets,waterjets.etc. but never use a cnc mill or lathe. I know how to use manual machines only.
    so there is different pakages of this program? it so may be I need something to program a minimill.

thank you

The program just creates a "toolpath" for whatever operation you choose. Then you have whats called a "post processor" which is a configuration file that "formats the Gcode" to match a specific machine.. There are many post processors (including one for a Haas minimill) and they are customisable (They are just simple text files) to further create the type of gcode you want to see..

Here is a test model I made from a customer supplied solid works file, Anybody who says BobCad cant perform does not know how to operate the software.

Im self taught with the CDs that came with V23,.. Machine Fadal,

I have always gotten answers to questions to get me out of a pinch on this message board

For the money, and some patience, BobCad can perform

Waynno
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails m.jpg   m1.jpg  

Righteous model Waynno!!!!

Waynno
    I too am self taught (struggle sometimes) and find Bobcad enjoyable to see the finished item.

Could you please tell me if the test model you show below, was done on 3 axis or 4 axis ?

Regards
    Kel

3 axis, Haas indexer to flip over and keep things centered

Waynno

V24 is actually a very powerful piece of software, while not as sophisticated as some programs, it is impressive what you get for how much it costs. I've been using Bobcad since v21 and I wasn't terribly impressed with the previous versions. V24 on the other hand has really surprised me in how mature Bobcad has become.

I do a lot of one-off parts in expensive alloys, under tight deadlines, so I don't have time to screw around. V23 wouldn't cut it for me doing what I do these days, but 24 is getting the job done.

Like others have said however, you need to take the time to learn it and understand it, especially if you aren't familiar with other CAM software. I highly recommend getting all the videos, even the ones for v23 are very handy though I'm using 24 now. I copied them all onto my hard drive for easy access in case if I forget how to do a particular thing.

I don't know if I would have told you go grab a copy of the older versions, but v24 is a very good deal.

I use Mastercam X5. I have also owned Bobcad for years. While Bobcad is nowhere near as powerful as Mastercam(which is first rate)....It is very very impressive for the money.

I have programmed some fairly complicated geometry with Bobcad. It has a real learning curve, but so does any cadcam package.

I have also owned other cadcam packages that cost far more than Bobcad and didnt perform as well. Bobcad is in a class of it's own for it price range.

The support is good and overall, I can easily recommend it as a entry level package, until you are ready to upgrade to a higher end product.

BobCAD V24 is Very Good VFM

I have been using it for a few weeks, and it is very powerful.

Having said that, it is 'quirky' and temperamental.

Eg, if there are several lines on top of each other, then the surface or posting tools may not work (or may, but not all the time...). There are tools to clean up the drawing, and I need to try these.

My son loves MasterCAM X4 and also Solidworks though, and MasterCAM REALLY sets the standard. But very expensive. Solidworks is also powerful, but needs the toolpath capabilities etc.

I have done some test milling of a tremolo cavity, and they have come our beautifully. Undersize though, as Mach3 was not set up correctly.

I LOVE my Romaxx HS1 also. Very well made and VERY solid.

Page 1 of 5 123