584,850 active members*
4,305 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

tapping problems.

I am having trouble tapping on an Okuma LB15. We are tapping a M10x1/5 in a .750 rod. Have broken two taps. What is the best tapping head to use? Are others having problems?

Put the section of NC code up that you are using.

-also what is your tool holding method ? ( solid collet chuck or floating tap holder )
    -material being tapped ?
    -hole size ? ( should be Ø8.5mm for M10 x 1.5Pitch tap)
    -and is the tool / holder on centreline of the spindle ?

With the info you've given us, we don't know if you even drilled a hole

Are you using a live tool?

I don't think that the main spindle can do rigid tapping. At least not standard.

We are using a floating tap holder/ .335 hole size/ 304 stainless/ we have used an indicator to check center between tap holder and chuck. We are thinking that the feed rate is a problem with our floating head. We are concerened about how far we are feeding in before the we get enough pressure for the tap to start feeding in. Also, how much overtravel is there before the spindle reverses. We are feeding at .05906.

It is costly trying to experiment with feed rates on a production job and I can't afford to keep breaking taps. I would, however like to be able to run the threads on this machine and keep it all in one place.

Dude, you need to post the block of code in question, there are very seemingly minor details that don't need to be explained, if you post the code. IE spindle speed, dwell at the bottom of the hole, which line reverse spindle.

NOTE; do not experiment with feedrates---at all, they are determined by FPR. Your feedrate of .05906 is fine, don't change it. You can change the spindle speed, once you finished with a hole, and onto the next one. BUt not feeds.

Robert
    The beaten path, is exclusively for beaten men.

From one of my other posts:

The guys are right - check the basics first...they are most likely. I've had good luck with the smaller holes using the M-spindle sync tapping (G178 std. on M machines) and no floating head. Works best in alum with a form tap also instead of cutting tap. This helps to keep your chip troubles or jamming from happening, and leaves a nice clean hole. If this is what you are doing, the other thing I've seen if hole size and runout are good is hydraulic locking on blind holes. No place for fluid to go as tap goes in and pressure builds creating lock.

UNLESS you are trying to do this with main spindle and not M-spindle. You will break them like crazy trying to do it that way...no sync without special option, so it can only be done at extremely slow RPM and using floating head and cycle time reduction option (M63) as spindle reverses. Another trick is to feed in with floating head using reduced feedrate. This will cause floating head to pull out slightly, so that when you reverse, there is some "give" in the head. If you are not using sync tapping, the spindle must reach speed before the axis can feed. M63 ignores this, thus giving you more "sync".

Hope these tips help you out, but check alignments first.

Best regards,