586,009 active members*
4,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

C10 interface card PS

I currently have a C10 breakout board and im working on installing to my controller to add more I/O. I found a 110v input +5v dc 5amp out Power supply.
    This ps was laying around and have considered trying it to the c10 board but want to know if the amp rating will be to high for this application?
    Just dont want a smoke it. Also this ps has a pot for voltage adjustment.
    The c10 board will connect to a 2nd parallel port, +5v, -5 and ground to chassis.
    I would like to get coolant and mist working through this board with a set of relays and a solonoid to pick for the inputs in mach 3 is their any body out their with good knowledge on this board, power supply and maybe a drawing on how to wire this sucker up?
    AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0646.JPG   DSC_0647.JPG  

I do not have a C10 and I have not used one, however in the past I have read the documentation for the board.

Just because a DC power supply is "rated" to supply a certain number of amps doesn't mean that it will actually push that rated current through the load that is connected to it. A simplified way of looking at is that the actual amount of amps that are drawn from the supply depends on the "needs" of the circuit that it is connected to.

So you should not be concerned that your 5-volt DC power supply is rated at 5 amps out. A properly operating C10 will not draw anywhere near that amount of current for the board alone.

As far as powering a coolant or mist pump, I don't know what its voltage requirements are, but you will probably be powering the pump from a separate power supply that is switched on and off by the relay.

I did attempt putting power to the c10 board and hooking up th PP and ran into pc issues as soon as windows tries to load back screen shows up and no windows.
    Not real sure why assuming pc problems with parallel port red led lit wanted to check output voltage but whats the point when icons on screen dont show.
    I did end up hooking up to relays through the g540 and got it working that way.
    Just wanted more outputs available with c10.
    Thanks for the info.