585,763 active members*
4,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Ghost image

Ghost image

I'm cutting .25 acrylic and getting this "ghost image" on the side of the table diagonally opposite to mirror 2, It does not affect the cut, but the ghost is just powerful enough to brown an image on the paper. I had this happen once when the cone was not seated properly, but it was anywhere on the table. Cone is fine, and no problems anywhere else on the table. Thanks Neville & God Bless the troops, past & present on this Memorial Day
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 1.jpg   photo2.jpg  

Check where the beam is hitting the last mirror on the laser head . plus where it hits the lens.
    You are getting a reflection somewhere which is causing the double image. Probably its not hitting the lens correctly.
    rabbit / ls3040

Hey Neville,

As geekinesis suggested it is likely due to alignment, resulting in the beam reflecting and creating your ghost but if alignment is good I would check that the lens isn't cracked.

Zax.

Wouldnt a cracked lens exhibit itself everywhere though? I was cutting 6 parts out of a 36x24 sheet at a time. Only the one closest to the control panel had the ghost. I shall do some test cuts and see what might be going on. tx all. N

If the beam is at even a degree off horizontal then it will be hitting different parts of the lens at different points on the table so it could either be hitting a small crack on the edge of the lens or even a scratch on the lens would affect the beam. The lens is very soft and brittle so easily damaged.
    Try just realigning the mirrors and checking the beam is exactly horizontal and that will probably solve the problem.
    rabbit / ls3040

Dubliner,
    I had the same problem on my Vytek. It's all in the alignment and the point where the beam passes through the nozzle below the focus lens. The beam (on mine) was grazing the nozzle and reflecting off. It takes a VERY in-depth alignment procedure to correct this. Take your time, bring a lunch.
    Wish I'd bought a Multicam.