585,692 active members*
4,225 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > HY04D023B Wiring questions... (noob)

Exclamation HY04D023B Wiring questions... (noob)

Hey all,
    So I picked up a 4KW VFD and spindle from Chai off ebay a month or so back. I am just now getting around to hooking the thing up and have a question I was hoping someone here may be able to assist with...

(For reference I am in North America IE 60hz, 110 wall plugs.)

I was originally under the impression that these were single phase 220 units, however the side panel (I think) reads that it wants 3phase 220. Now I DO actually have 3 phase in the building but Ideally the sub panel I was going to hook it up to is only basic single phase 110/220.

So Stupid Question #1
    If I end up just running this off a normal sub panel (NOT 3 phase) whats the best way to accomplish this?

Stupid Question #2
    I noticed on the data sticker that it wants 3phase 220 @ 50hz +-5hz. (that's normal European/Asian right?) If I just end up hooking this up to normal North American 3 phase am I going to let the magic smoke out? Should I be going the converter rout and have the converter step the HZ down to 50? OR should I see if Chai has 60 hz models?

Stupid Question #3
    I have already built a box for this thing, I had power ON/OFF being run through a 220 Relay. The manual is is semi readable English, and im getting the impression from is that starting/stopping the VFD should NOT be done via "electromagnetic contactor" In this case are they just saying that if the motor is running do NOT use a relay as an E-stop or are they saying NEVER kill power to the unit via a relay when turning it off for the night?

Stupid Question #4
    What is suitable for a breaking resistor?

thanks for any insight and I apologize as I suspect these are pretty stupid questions.

Thats about a 5HP VFD so that is usually at the limit for 1ph supply.
    If you have 3ph available this is the preferable way to go as the efficiency is higher than 1ph.
    If the unit will accept 1ph, there are some that require a particular input pair to be fed, if no instruction on this, you may have to use trial and error.
    You will require a local means of disconnect or 3ph and ground plug and socket.
    The frequency does not matter as the VFD converts whatever the AC is to DC.
    If you want to power off in E-stop or when no longer in use, a contactor can be used on the supply Input side only.
    If you require a braking resistor, the manual should specify a suitable resistance and wattage.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I also bought the same deal. From what I get so far is that it is single phase-220 to 3 phase.

Model~ HY 04D0 23 B
    Software Version
    Voltage Rating, 23 means 1-phase 220V
    Inverter Capacity, 04D0 means 4KW

There is nothing that directly related to my model number HY04D023B in the manual, but all the ones listed with the 23 in their model number are Single & Three Phase 220V 50Hz. All the ones listed with 43 in their model number are 3Φ380V 50Hz

WalkerYYJ, have you made anymore progress?

Thanks guys!
    Unfortunately Iv been preoccupied with some other equipment for the past few weeks so haven't had a chance to finish hooking the VFD up (+ im still trying to source better cable to go from VFD to spindle) But I did contact the seller and was told that it will function with single OR 3 phase as per your discovery. I have yet to power it up...

I am still waiting for the rest of my cnc to arrive and untill then I havent looked to much into connecting the spindle/vfd. Once I get to that point I will share what I find...and hopefully visa versa.

Here is a picture that was supplied to me by my seller.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0008.jpg   008.jpg  

Re: HY04D023B Wiring questions... (noob)

I have the same VFD and a Chinese 2.2kw water cooled spindle. I plugged the power wires from the wall (including the ground). What I'm asking is there is a ground on the 4 pin connector (spindle side). Where do I connect it? To the same room along with the ground from the wall? Or do I just leave it alone?

Thanks.