586,009 active members*
4,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Mach3, Probe, and Digitize Wizard Issue

Hello,

I am new to this forum and to CNC.

I am running licensed Mach3 on a clean Windows7 PC.

I use a PCI Parallel card with the latest drivers for connecting to the controller.

I have successfully run a GC file in Mill Profile to create an engraved logo.

I am now installing a digitizing probe but I am having problems with it's operation.

I have loaded the Mach Probe plugin, and am running in the Probe profile.

I have tested the probe with an ohmmeter and get a break in resistance when the probe is moved.

The probe leads are connected a Gecko G540 (Gecko connections: Pin 1 [probe] and pin 12 [ground]). Checked and double checked: connections are correct. Per Gecko documentation Pin 1 corresponds to pin 10 on the Port.

Mach 3 Input Config is, Probe Enabled, Port 1 and Pin 10,

Testing at the Gecko connections gives the same resistance results. Voltage test across the Gecko pins gives 0 (zero) volts when the probe is at neutral position and 11.4 volts (is this too high?) when moved. I have reversed and re-installed the leads, same results.

This leads me to believe the probe and its connections are performing per design.

However, when I initiate the Digitizing Wizard, set travel and probe parameters, create and load G-Code, then select 'run cycle' I get this DRO error message 'Probe Ignore, activated at call for probe'. Huh?

The CNC head does not move, nor will it respond to the shuttle (that's expected in Probe Profile tho, I think).

On the Diagnostics screen, the Digitize option is lit but does NOT flicker or change in response to probe movement.

Does anyone have any further suggestions as to how to test and/or resolve this issue?

I have tried to give a complete description of my issue, but if I missed something please ask.

Thank you for your time and attention,

Vicrider

Testing at the Gecko connections gives the same resistance results. Voltage test across the Gecko pins gives 0 (zero) volts when the probe is at neutral position and 11.4 volts (is this too high?) when moved. I have reversed and re-installed the leads, same results.

This leads me to believe the probe and its connections are performing per design.
    All that matters is that the Digitize LED shows the probe operating correctly.
    On the Diagnostics screen, the Digitize option is lit but does NOT flicker or change in response to probe movement.
    It should normally be off, and light up when the probe makes contact.

If it doesn't work this way, you have a wiring issue.

The error message you're receiving sounds like the LED is always on.

Can't help you with the wiring, as I've never used a G540
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I believe I will try another solution. My suspicion is that the break signal is not getting to the Mach software.

This may be related to the installed PCi parallel port card for connecting to the Gecko, as I know the probe is behaving correctly and all the config settings are correct.

I have just found a parallel cable https://shop.msicomputer.com/App/Sto...l.aspx?ID=1374 that will connect directly to my MSI motherboard (it takes a unique connector [DB25 female connector, and mini IDC 26-pin female connector]). Price - 5 bucks.

It should deliver in 3 days and I will see if that solves the issue.

Thanks everyone for your time and attention,

vicrider