585,883 active members*
5,169 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Where to get +5vdc for my Gecko????

Where to get +5vdc for my Gecko????

I have a cnc4pc parallel port interface card and their mini power supply. I have taken a +5vdc from the mini power supply to the common terminal on the gecko.

I have no holding torque. In mach3 my motor just buzzes when I push the jog buttons. My steppers will not turn.

Here is another comment from a member from cnczone about my problem
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hmmm, I am still thinking it is the wiring rather than Mach3. I have just flicked through the gecko info and read this,

These inputs are optically isolated from the rest of the drive. Term. 10 is the common anode connection for the opto-isolators and must be connected to the +5 VDC supply of your indexer or pulse generator.

Since you are using a seperate PSU for the 5v, could it be that this is the problem? What you could try is to hook up the geckos using 5v from the PC instead, just to see if it makes a difference. Electronics really isn't my strong point though!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

So where on the cnc4pc breakout board do I get a +5vdc source that also pulses. Where do I have to hook a wire from the breakout board to the gecko terminal#10 COMMON.

Peter

What voltage are your motors rated at? Do you have a seperate power supply for the motors with the recomended voltage?

Donny

Yeah I have a good 48 v power supply for the motors.

I get a buzzing sound in mach3 when I push my keyboard buttons, (jogging).

So some sort of signal is getting there.

The motor does not lock up. The shaft spins just like if there was no power to it. You turn it and feel the steps.

This is a big 1200oz-in motor, so I think that I should know when it is locked, or has holding torque.

Peter

Double check the current set resistor value using an Ohmmeter.

Mariss

Mariss,

I take it that i check this with the power off. Do I have to take the resistor out and put it on the bench to test. Or can I just test while it is in the gecko with the power off.?

Peter

Turn the power off, remove the connector from the drive, measure the resistor.

Mariss

Righto, will do that now.

Back in 5min.

Mariss,

With my meter set on 2K.

My x axis reads 0.217. I have a 220k resistor there.

My y axix reads 0.033. I have a 33k resistor there.

I am taking my 5 volt power for the gecko from a seperate power supply. This power supply will not generate a step pulse.. Do i have to take 5volts power from my breakout board to the common terminal on the gecko?

I do not have a +5volt out on my breakout board that is labled. Do you know if I can take +5volts from another output pin, as my breakout board is opti isolated.

I am using the cnc4pc parallel port breakout board. There are no jumper settings on this board.

I have plenty of GND outputs on the board. Do I use one of these for the common to the gecko?

Also attached are som pics of my setup.

Note that it is mounted in a mdf wood enclosure. So there is no ground to chassis. Don't know it this matters though.

Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails power1 with text.JPG   power2.JPG   power3 with text.JPG   power4 with text.JPG  

Also Mariss I only have 4.95vdc going in. It is a bit short of 5v. Is this okay?

Found problem with Gecko, !!!!!!!! :)

Mariss,

I have fixed up the voltage drop.

I am now back up to 48.1vdc in and 4.98dc in

Allso the current set resistors are wrong.
    I got 2200ohm instead of 220,000.
    and 3300ohn not 33,000ohm..

Obviously this would have let more power into the geckodrve. Why did it not blow up then?

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Apples
    Allso the current set resistors are wrong.
    I got 2200ohm instead of 220,000.
    and 3300ohn not 33,000ohm..

Obviously this would have let more power into the geckodrve. Why did it not blow up then?

Peter
    It doesn't put more power into the drive. The drive controls the current to the motors. Possibly the wrong resistors are keeping the Geckos from providing enough current, which is why you have no torque??
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)